What water filter do you guys use?

Brewer #410952

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was considering buying a reverse osmosis water filter. Do you guys have any recommendations? Did you install just in your sink or throughout the house?

Hi, I was considering buying a reverse osmosis water filter. Do you guys have any recommendations? Did you install just in your sink or throughout the house?
I don't have RO but, instead have an under-sink filter holding 2 cartridges. One traps larger particles and the other is a carbon block filter that gets most everything else. Compared to an R.O. system a standard water filter system is much cheaper to operate, and doesn't waste water. I'm not saying don't buy an R.O. system, just providing an alternative.

I bought this. Will pay for itself in less than a year

Express Water RO5DX Reverse Osmosis Filtration NSF Certified 5 Stage RO System with Faucet and Tank – Under Sink Water Plus 4 Filters – 50 GPD, 14 x 17 x 5, White https://a.co/d/2Q21kD3

I purchase RO water as needed

I grew up on well water, we had wicked crazy iron levels, not sure how that would work for brewing
I'm on a well right now and its great for lagers or clean malty beers, not so much hoppy beers

I am on well water. I have an RO unit. Lots of fertilizer leftovers in the ground warer for an older shallow well. Love the water taste. Also hooked to the fridge ice maker.
For brewing I added a pressure tank downstars in the brew room. Thought the specs said 7 gallon but holds 5 gallons.
Great for filling the night before . Set the Anvil to have heated the next morning and it is ready (except for my missing half gallon I have to add then)

I grew up on well water, we had wicked crazy iron levels, not sure how that would work for brewing
I seem to be ok here with the iron content.. calcium is the more prevalent mineral if I use the records of the public samples I've found on the internet but I really need to do a test on my well. The RV filter catches the clay deposits which is also red...I thought it was iron originally but I have none of the other NOF's from lots of iron in the water so I'm sticking with my deductive reasoning although I still need a real test to be for sure...until then... I'll live with my ignorant bliss!

And back to the OP....find out about your plumbing and how your local water can affect it...if it gonna ruin your copper pipes over time, get a whole house unit....if you are doing it just for drinking water and the occasional brewing, get a sink unit. If you go sink...find some place besides under the sink...tight spaces for that suck!

I was heavy into 2 stage filters for years then I got 3 samples over a year of both with or without the filter, the readings were the same for water, now that doesn't test clarity

Carbon filter here my waters pretty soft on the Sunny Coast Australia so no need to go RO

I know a guy up the road and round the corner that will fill a keg for me with RO if I really need some but only done that once just to see.

My personal thoughts on drinking RO water for house use.

Remember you need them trace elements in your diet some calcium magnesium and iron are all good for your body...

I understand though if it's a contamination issue...

Carbon filter here my waters pretty soft on the Sunny Coast Australia so no need to go RO

I know a guy up the road and round the corner that will fill a keg for me with RO if I really need some but only done that once just to see.

My personal thoughts on drinking RO water for house use.

Remember you need them trace elements in your diet some calcium magnesium and iron are all good for your body...

I understand though if it's a contamination issue...
funny thing my RO system cleans the water up, then the last thing it does is run through a mineral filter, lol. put all the good minerals back,

funny thing my RO system cleans the water up, then the last thing it does is run through a mineral filter, lol. put all the good minerals back,
Perfect.

I know alot of people in Aus including my dad don't like gov putting Fluoride in our water supply so removing that with RO makes sense.

I'm lazy and only brew 5 gallons. The week before brewing during normal shopping, I buy 8 gallons of spring water.
If I were not lazy, a small RO system would pay for itself in a short period of time. Our tap water is God awful.

If you're looking for a more flexible option, you might consider a portable RO system that you can connect to your faucet when needed. These systems are compact and easy to install, making them suitable for renters or people who move frequently.

If you're looking for a more flexible option, you might consider a portable RO system that you can connect to your faucet when needed. These systems are compact and easy to install, making them suitable for renters or people who move frequently.
Exactly what i did

Before we bought an RO system, we used a Clearly Filtered water pitcher. It was a gift, and a good one as we didn't have anything else at that moment. And the quality of water was good (I contacted clearly filtered customer service to find it out). I should say, it was a pretty good temporary solution for us but we had to think about an alternative because it wasn't enough for our whole family.

What is the wastewater that your RO systems are pushing out? I'm interested in having a blank slate for water, but I'm unsure if I can stomach the 3:1 (gallons in : to RO water out) ratio that I've read about.

Back