What to use for secondary for sour beer

PackerDan

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been fermenting a sour for a year now. Next month it's time to put it on some fruit in a secondary. Unfortunately I was planning on just buying a glass big mouth when the time comes and this virus shutdown is making it tough to get one. I can get one but I'm too cheap to pay for shipping and local suppliers don't have them. I could use a carboy but I don't like the idea of jamming fruit into the narrow bottle neck and really don't look forward to trying to clean that out. I have a corny I can use but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to have a sour beer sitting in a metal keg for the next 6 or 7 months. Do you think a corny keg is okay for a sour beer secondary? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill and I should just use a carboy? I could also use a plastic fermenting bucket but also wasn't sure if plastic was a good idea for sours.

Last edited:
Out of those options I'd use the corny keg. I have a couple of sours sitting in corny kegs permanently (I bottle half and add a new batch to replace that each year). There some types of acids that could hurt the stainless, but sour brewing won't create any of those. Well at least I've never heard of a microbe that can create them.

I don't know that I'd drink anything acidic enough to attack stainless steel. Think of it this way: Our kegs are generally of the type that used to hold soft drink syrup. At drinking strength, soda has a pH in the low threes. We generally can't drink beer that acidic.

Back