What should I change to fix this dunkelweizen recipe

CharlestonBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was trying to brew a dunkelweizen, not necessarily a weihenstephaner clone but something similar. It came out very roasty tasting. almost no banana clove flavors, not sure if the roast flavors are overpowering the esters. I really didn't pay close attention to fermentation temps, just let this one ferment at room temperature 70 degrees +. I was thinking it would produce a lot of banana notes, I also under pitched yeast Wyeast 3068 weihenstephaner.

Heres the grain bill

6.6 lb. Rahr White Wheat Malt
3.3 lb. German Dark Munich Malt
8.8 oz. Weyerman Caramunich III
2.6 oz. Dehusked Carafa III

Hopped with Hallertau 1oz 60min

OG 1.054
FG 1.012

Open to suggestions on what I should alter

If it's too roasty I'd definitely look at lowering the carafa. Maybe even the dark Munich. Have you looked into capping your mash? It's a good way to get the color out of a darker malt but not as much flavor

If you want more banana and clove, you could brew a traditional hefeweizen style, 50/50 wheat and pilsner, and then color it with something like D-90 Candi Syrup. That will make it dark, and the simple sugars in there should encourage the yeast to produce more banana.

All of the malts used in there seem to be fairly roasted. My experience with Carafa 3, is only a little is needed. Maybe 1 oz. When reviewing the BJCP guidelines, they refer to the make up of a dunkles style beer to be at least 50% wheat, with the remainder made of of vienna, munich, or pils malts.

Mine is made up of around 45% each of pils and Caramel wheat, 5% each of vienna, and munich dark malts. This grist estimates 5.2% ABV, the right SRM colour, and you can add the hops to achieve desired bitterness.

When you say Dehusked Carafa, did you buy Carafa or Carafa Special? Carafa Special is the de-husked version. Regular Carafa-3 will be roasty. Maybe they mixed up bins at the retailer? If the pedigree is dubious you can substitute midnight wheat or blackprinz

Back