What REALLY matters when brewing beer?

A bucket blaster or similar is a great tool that in my honest opinion makes the cleaning side easier.
Yeah, but us electric all-in-one folks really can't get things too wet. My Brewzilla is fairly water-resistant but I do fear getting the electronics wet. Thus, it is hand-scrubbing for me. Every 4 or 5 brews I'll run PBW through the system.

Kegs are easy enough to clean with a brush, maybe 15 minutes, so they are not the problem.

Yeah, but us electric all-in-one folks really can't get things too wet. My Brewzilla is fairly water-resistant but I do fear getting the electronics wet. Thus, it is hand-scrubbing for me. Every 4 or 5 brews I'll run PBW through the system.

Kegs are easy enough to clean with a brush, maybe 15 minutes, so they are not the problem.
Bucket blaster is for kegs fermenters ect as for your all in one it's a CIP type situation ;).

I've cleaned kegs for years your way the bucket blaster Is The Way To Go.
Less detergent set and for get cleans gas n liquid posts and you can adapt to clean beer lines.
If mine died I'd buy another tomorrow :)

Just a tip in regards to the laborious chore of cleaning kegs ect...

I tell most beginners the same thing, 'Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer'.

Yeah, I know, it's very overused saying, but it's very important to understand that most of what you are doing is just process.

I'm an extremely laid back brewer, and I wish there were more like me, because it keeps a lot of newbies from joining.

Beer to me is all about the recipe and technique. It's almost identical to cooking. A good cook doesn't need timers and doesn't write down sauces constantly. Trust your instincts!

Sanitation is numero uno, and from there it's about basic chemistry (pH of wort, oxidation for yeast, etc), and having a good recipe.

My number one suggestion to new brewers, and even experienced, is to use everything at least once and don't be afraid to jump out of your comfort zone! I recently made an ESB for a friend who is moving soon, and it turned out to be a huge success!!!! I basically only brew IPAs because that's what I normally buy/drink, but it was really fun to do something new and have it pay off first try!

My number one suggestion to new brewers, and even experienced, is to use everything at least once and don't be afraid to jump out of your comfort zone!
Yes! This!
The reason for our quarterly community brews. And part of the reason for the monthly zoom meetings.

I'd have to say that having a proper amount of healthy yeast for the job is the most important. That and cleaning.
Sure, there are a lot of little things and processes, but missing a mash temp or changing up a grain doesn't make bad beer.
If you don't clean meticulously, you will fail. Maybe not right away, but inevitably , you will fail.
And stressed yeast don't make good beer. Now, under pitching in some cases may give strived after results, but those are stress driven characteristics.
So clean or fail and pitch healthy yeast in near about the right amount.
Cheers
Brian

Last edited:

Back