What is your Go To recipe when testing a new yeast strain?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Of all the gross places in the world to scrape yeast, I'm getting a completely untested strain scraped from the French Quarter that Bootleg Biology has banked. I quote in my correspondence with them, "Don't really have anything useful to pass along about the culture." Sounds like fun. I was going to do one of my tried and true recipes, but I'm all ears on this one. lemme hear ya

I would probably do a SMASH that you are familiar with to see how the yeast tastes. That way there are so few variables to evaluate, the yeast character would be easier to identify.

Simple SMASH: Pale ale, Magnum hops to about 0.4 - 0.5 BU/GU, no flavor or aroma hops, split, one with control yeast (say US-05) and the other with the yeast of choice. Alternately, do the exact same thing with extract. Ferment the same, have someone pour you a triangle test when done.

smash sounds good, i might finish it with some hallertau though, or go with something like Sterling.

smash sounds good, i might finish it with some hallertau though, or go with something like Sterling.
Don't, if your goal is to really test the yeast, that is. Do a small batch, split it, and reduce to as few variables as possible so that you can be sure that the difference you get is the result of your treatment (different yeast), not something else. That's why I like to use extract for this kind of test - it's very consistent (and very easy to make two gallons and split into two batches).

Back