What is your approach to degas beer for a Gravity reading?

View attachment 17421 Ultimately my degassing gave me comfort that I'm close to enough to terminal gravity for government work. Target for this batch was 1.038 for OG, and 1.012 for FG. Actual OG was 1.035 and FG was 1.014. Instead of ABV slightly above 3%, it’s slightly below. Attenuation was super low at 60% vs. expected of 75%, perhaps explained by an initial temperature spike or …? Cold crashing now.

I’m calling this English Mild - “Quite. Quite. Indubitably Mild.” Best uttered while lighting/puffing a pipe.

And I was thinking just a typical high flocking English yeast. They can drop like a rock early on and if not roused, sometimes don't finish. Another characteristic from that would be diacetal and acceptable in low amounts in the English styles.
Cheers

Yeah in regards to low attenuation I wouldnt expect a temp rise to cause it unless it went beyond the yeasts high temp range like 30c
Maybe more of a vitality thing maybe alot of old yeast cells at pitch or low nutrient or Oxygen wort content.
Good points. Yeast was a recent purchase, but I don’t add nutrient and just shake the keg/fermenter for oxygenation. Might need to revisit that.

Good points. Yeast was a recent purchase, but I don’t add nutrient and just shake the keg/fermenter for oxygenation. Might need to revisit that.
It may also be a one off.
Keep an eye on it and address it if it keeps on happening.

Putting the beer into an ultrasonic cleaner works great for degassing. Still takes a while but at least it's automatic.

I just measured gravity on batch that has fermented under pressure, 1028, wait what?
Found this thread through a search on the GOOGS.
Poured back and forth between two glasses a number of times, gave the hydrometer a good spin and voila, 1014 as expected!
Then, wait for it, I giggled, out loud!
Or is that jiggled, whatever :cool:

Am I the only one that just pulls the sample the when I get home and checks it in the morning? put a breathable cover on it and the co2 will escape overnight.

I have to admit to hardly ever doing an FG sample.
But when I do, I take a reading with refractometer and another reading the next day.

Whatever the Tilt says is close enough.

Back