What IS the big mystery about market price lobster in Maine?

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Will be traveling to Maine next week and, you would think, you would be able to look up what they are charging for a lobster dinner in restaurants...I haven't been able to find ANY current information with google. Wonder why it's such a big mistery...

It's been 10 years since I was in maine. But I remember lobster being cheap compared to here in Mo. Hell McDonald's had a "MC lobster"!

I remember traveling to Maine twenty years ago or so (probably more so) , the first place we stopped was Micky-Ds for a McLobster.

I'll be watching this thread since Wifey and I are also headed "Down East" later use summer.

What are you seeing? "Market Price"?

It's been 10 years since I was in maine. But I remember lobster being cheap compared to here in Mo. Hell McDonald's had a "MC lobster"!
Been 9 years since I've been there, maybe I'll just buy some live ones and boil myself. Hate not knowing the price before going to the restaurant.
I'll be watching this thread since Wifey and I are also headed "Down East" later use summer.

What are you seeing? "Market Price"?

Yup, always hated not being able to look that up before you get there.

You know what they say,. If you have to ask .......

Lol, i have asked what the price is many times. The funny part is, the servers rarely know!

Lobster in Maine is like beer in Germany, it's really not expensive at all. Give it a try.

In some places market prices under $10 a pound

Lobster in Maine is like beer in Germany, it's really not expensive at all. Give it a try.

In some places market prices under $10 a pound
Went out for lobster a couple times last time I was there. I KNOW I'll be hitting Bob's Clam Hut once, and Shore Road Restaurant for a lobster roll. Might just boil my own this time.

Chrysler...probably has tranny problems...

Naaa...I think Fred Schneider is just gay. :rolleyes:..and not a lobster eater..

Wifey got a recommendation to say for good lobster rolls up there...a chain...Mackie's.
Where's @Blackmuse on this thread? Isn't he up in Maine? And what about some local brews to check out...we gonna be around Bangor.

Naaa...I think Fred Schneider is just gay. :rolleyes:..and not a lobster eater..

Wifey got a recommendation to say for good lobster rolls up there...a chain...Mackie's.
Where's @Blackmuse on this thread? Isn't he up in Maine? And what about some local brews to check out...we gonna be around Bangor.
Funny! I was going to jump in on this thread! But I don't eat seafood! lol So I don't know much about the market... Typically it is supply and demand. Price go up as supply struggles to keep up with demand. Another effect I assume would be all the regulations applied to lobstering. But - my biggest guess as to why you may not be able to see prices is they change day to day depending on the haul of the day (as that obviously changes). When you're on the seacoast you are getting the DAY'S catch - so it is fresh and price changes day to day with what the lobstermen are able to pull in. - Make sense? Take it with a grain of salt as I'm no lobsterman nor a businessman - heck I don't even eat the stuff!

what about some local brews to check out

This I CAN talk about! At least if you're going to be heading up RT 1 on the seacoast! Kittery and Portsmouth has a few solid breweries!

Portsmouth:
Liars Bench - My favorite in Portsmouth
Great Rhythm - While I don't drink IPAs much, I do remember ordering one at a bar and really liking it - which to me says a lot - I have never been to their brewery but I should!
Loaded Question - I have had a few good ones from here but they too tend to lean towards the trend (IPAS)

Kittery:
Tributary - probably my favorite in Kittery
Woodland Farms - also great and is right across from Kittery Trading Post at the "Outlets"
There is another one that you can walk to from Woodland farms as its in the next plaza over - Definitive - I haven't been to it as it seems to mostly have Pale Ales and IPAs as its focus...

Sorry I can't really help with BANGOR - That's up thair! ;) Yet it's really not UP THAIR (as far as Maine goes!)! lol

Houlton is up there. Bangor is almost Florida...:rolleyes:

Back