What ingredients to buy?

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am goiing to need some help in checking if I got the ingredients I need.
I will be going to Europe soon and I'll bring most equipment back with me, inclusive of some ingredients.
It will have to last me till I can find someone who goes by car to S-Africa to bring me more malt.
My idea is to go the BIAB route and possibly SMaSH to start of with (not sure as I am currently trying my hands on a Summer Blond and I may want to make that another couple of times, if I like the taste)
I want to make Belgian tripel and blond beers.

So far, I got:

Malt:
Lager malt (https://www.beerlab.co.za/collections/grains/products/waltslagermalt)
Pilsner malt (https://www.beerlab.co.za/collections/grains/products/waltspilsnermalt)

Hop pellets:
Saaz
Hallertau blanc

Yeast:
Mangrove Jack - Belgian tripel en Belgian abbey
Lallemand - Belle Saison
Fermentis - S 33 en T 58

Yeast nutrients

Am I forgetting something here?
What else should I put on my list?

I'm sure lager and pilsner malts are one and the same thing. I'd grab some flavoring malts too other than just base malts.
Maybe some Vienna to up the malt flavour and give them blonds or lagers a little colour and more mouthfeel. Some Munich is good to for similar thing. Food for thought Carahell Malt a light Crystal malt around 30 lovibond just a small amount can really punch up the malt profile and head retention. Speaking of which I love wheat malt will be better in your blonde ale but of all the ones I've listed probably most subjective and may be a personal like dislike. I just find it really rounds out a beer give body head retention but can contribute haze but not likely in small concentrations like 500g hits. As for Belgian beers Special B may tickle your fancys providing more bold strong caramel - burnt caramel /prune flavours in small additions to your grists. And maybe a mid range crystal 60 and or biscuit malt should give you plenty of options for a fair few beers going forward.

I'd get a full sack of pilsner.
I'd get 2kg vienna
2kg wheat
1kg Carahell but can sub for biscuit malt...
1kg special B
1kg crystal 60
1kg biscuit or Victory

Not used them yeasts much I ferment on the lower phenolic side.
SAZZ is a delicious hop
Maybe a clean bittering hop like Magnum could be purchased to save using them delicate hops early in the boil.

Just food for thought.

The lager and pilsner malt, I already got.
They seem to differ in colour, maybe not much els?. Just had the sudden chance to get them in, so I jumped at it. Knowing just enough to know I definitely needed some base malts (and they take up the bulk of the weight).

The lot I mention above is already purchased, but only the base malts are with me.
Together with the equipment, it's apparently already almost 15 kg, so I gotta be careful with the extra's.

The 7 liter batch (6 in my case), I am making at the moment was using 1 kg pale malt,400 gr wheat malt and 60 gr carapils.
I have lager and pilsner malt. Are they similar to pale malt?
If so, then maybe some of those (wheat malt and carapils) would be a good plan, if I like the taste of this beer.
Too many choices, too many decissions to make...

The hops for this were Perle, Hallertauer mittelfruh and Tettnang.
So making this beer again is going to require quite a bit more purchases.

I think maybe I have to look for a smash recipe that works with my base malts. Problem is that I don't have enough experience to read a recipe and know whether I'll like it or not.

What else would I need? Irish moss?
Some people say no, my recipe did use it. Another clarifier? I do not mind cloudy beer.

The lager and pilsner malt, I already got.
They seem to differ in colour, maybe not much els?. Just had the sudden chance to get them in, so I jumped at it. Knowing just enough to know I definitely needed some base malts (and they take up the bulk of the weight).

The lot I mention above is already purchased, but only the base malts are with me.
Together with the equipment, it's apparently already almost 15 kg, so I gotta be careful with the extra's.

The 7 liter batch (6 in my case), I am making at the moment was using 1 kg pale malt,400 gr wheat malt and 60 gr carapils.
I have lager and pilsner malt. Are they similar to pale malt?
If so, then maybe some of those (wheat malt and carapils) would be a good plan, if I like the taste of this beer.
Too many choices, too many decissions to make...

The hops for this were Perle, Hallertauer mittelfruh and Tettnang.
So making this beer again is going to require quite a bit more purchases.

I think maybe I have to look for a smash recipe that works with my base malts. Problem is that I don't have enough experience to read a recipe and know whether I'll like it or not.

What else would I need? Irish moss?
Some people say no, my recipe did use it. Another clarifier? I do not mind cloudy beer.
Those are the classics. Hard to beat!

I never realised there were so many choices!

I think I will add some Magnum or another bittering hop and a bit of cara pils.
Then work with what I have until I (sort of) know what I am doing and I can order some bigger amounts.

I've been looking at smash recipes for blondes. I'll have to choose one and work with that one as a base. Then experiment further.
Blondes are normally easy drinkable beers so I figure they make a better starting point than tripels

The rabbit hole is only just beginning my friend.

Okay, I have found my starter/base recipe...
I'll translate it and then start a new thread as I need to adjust it to my system.
Which is totally new to me, so I have to make some educated guesses about evaporation etc etc

Back