What do you want for the holidays?

Sorry to hear about the losses. 2016 has generally sucked: Trump got elected and the Broncos didn't even make it to the playoffs.... But I have high hopes for 2017 and at least I didn't lose anyone dear to me, Carrie Fisher aside (I've loved Leia since 1977). But back to topic: I asked Santa for a decent microscope and he delivered, a 2000x binocular rig, very nice! I've used it already to validate an hypothesis about a beer. I suspected spoilage. It was good to actually see the wild yeast and bacteria in it, not that I like spoiled beer, I just like to validate my notions! I'll be counting yeast cells and testing slurry for viability in the future...

I asked Santa for a decent microscope and he delivered, a 2000x binocular rig, very nice! I've used it already to validate an hypothesis about a beer. I suspected spoilage. It was good to actually see the wild yeast and bacteria in it, not that I like spoiled beer, I just like to validate my notions! I'll be counting yeast cells and testing slurry for viability in the future...

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted how much fun you have with this new gadget. Hobby turned obsession or just obsessed with a hobby?:rolleyes:

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted how much fun you have with this new gadget. Hobby turned obsession or just obsessed with a hobby?:rolleyes:
An engineer with a new toy, more likely. Might try my hand at some yeast wrangling. I do beer, wine, sourdough bread and cheese, some form of microbiological control has become a necessity.

Yep sounds like you've got a lot of different strains of yeast floating about your house there Nosey. You don't want to go from neading a sourdough bread to transferring a brew in case of cross contamination.

Yep sounds like you've got a lot of different strains of yeast floating about your house there Nosey. You don't want to go from neading a sourdough bread to transferring a brew in case of cross contamination.
I have used sourdough starter to sour beer. Came out quite good! But with all those microbes floating around, I really have to pay attention to sanitation.

An engineer with a new toy, more likely. Might try my hand at some yeast wrangling. I do beer, wine, sourdough bread and cheese, some form of microbiological control has become a necessity.
That's some tiny livestock!! What kind of dogs do you use to herd them?

:D

Thought so , i use a few different products including StarSan , Iodophor and hydrogen peroxide to sanitise .
PBW to clean since i bought 15 kg for under $35

Something I just checked out on my local hombrew site prompted from this thread end here.
  • Clean
    • To be free from dirt, stain, or foreign matter
  • Sanitise
    • To kill/reduce spoiling microorganisms to negligible levels
  • Sterilise
    • To eliminate all forms of life especially microorganisms, either by chemical or physical means (harsh chemicals, heat, and pressure)

To sterilise in Homebrewing is almost impossible :)

Last edited:
As long as you don't get too many of the wrong kind, sacaromyces crowds the bad guys out. And if you keep fruit flies out. My contaminated batch was from summer when we had a lot of fresh fruit, hence fruit flies.

Back