what can you do

mick

Trial Member
Reaction score
just had a brew day which went well and I was pleased with then I realised I forgot to put Irish moss in last part of boil
but already put in fermenter with yeast so do I throw away and re do it all or is there anything I can do ?

Don't sweat it - I have forgotten it on more than one occasion.

I didn't really notice any difference, but the only bad thing that can happen is your beer won't be as clear.

I never use it. of course I'm not too worried about clarity. there are a couple fining agents you can use after fermentation is done if it is not clear enough though. gelatin is one.

Pick up some Biofine, 1 TBSP in secondary, let it sit for a week.

I forgot it in my light lager in the summer. Yea, it was hazy when I kegged it. Gelatin cleared it, but it took 7 days to do it. I keep notes near me with reminders but still forgot it.

You'll get some cloudiness but it's purely aesthetic. Unless it's to be a competition beer, relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. If you do need a bright beer for some reason, a long cold storage might do the trick. Gelatin, the unflavored kind, works nicely as a fining agent - you dissolve a few grams of it in 150 degree water - you don't want it much hotter or you'll make plain jell-o - and dump the mix into cold beer. SuperKleer works very nicely - it's a two-stage fining that gets most everything cloudy out of your beer. But again, if there's no reason to have clear bright beer, don't sweat it! Haze has no effect at all on flavor.

Back