What are you reading now?

My Wifes Opa was taken prisoner of war in the Dutch East Indies by the Japanese WW2. This book is illustrated buy DUTCHMAN Otto Kreefft View attachment 26451
It's a visual record of the brutality these men endured under the hands of their captors the Japanese whilst building the Burma Railway.

61000 Australian, English, Dutch and American POWs

415 KM of railway
Six Million Cubic meter of soil excavated
Three million cubic meters of Rock
300m of elevation
All by these MEN!

a sobering read...
My Dad was a pilot flying a cargo plane right over these guy's heads at that time.

In the Air force aye?
Yes, at the time it was called the Army Air Corps. They flew C47s (a DC3 fitted for cargo) over the himalayas, from India and Burma to supply the Chinese. The Burma railway wasn't done, and the Burma road was...inefficient. They were under British command (India and all that). When asked, my Dad said he was just a truck driver, but his truck had wings.

Seems pretty normal today, but in 1943 the idea of massive cargo operations by ear was a really new thing, it hadn't been done before. Later, the same concept was used for the Berlin airlift, but with different aircraft.

I'm reading this

20_f.png

My Wifes Opa was taken prisoner of war in the Dutch East Indies by the Japanese WW2. This book is illustrated buy DUTCHMAN Otto Kreefft View attachment 26451
It's a visual record of the brutality these men endured under the hands of their captors the Japanese whilst building the Burma Railway.

61000 Australian, English, Dutch and American POWs

415 KM of railway
Six Million Cubic meter of soil excavated
Three million cubic meters of Rock
300m of elevation
All by these MEN!

a sobering read...
Unfortunately, my granddad was there as well :(

This chick was on master Chef Australia and I've herd good things about her book
20230912_055357.jpg

It's not a healthy eating book:p.

There's even a donut recipie
Crazy when you can't have something you'll work pretty hard to make it possible again...

Mages of starsea. Interesting story so far

I feel like I need to go take a shower after reading this book
20231122_172205.jpg

I'm just glad I've got no money...

Just finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. Good detective story. I liked it.

If ya wanna know the Queensland life Experience this book practically sums up life growing up here in Queensland Australia.
20240223_193526.jpg

I'm from the bush but reading this makes me smile

Unfortunately, my granddad was there as well :(
Didn't see this till now sorry to here Zambezi!
Leah's mum Vera (my mother in law) is early 70's so I guess her Dad Willem (spelling probably wrong) would of been your granddads age...

Granddad was born in 1903
The family was lucky to survive
Granddad, grandma, my dad, 2 of my uncles and 1 aunt (dad's siblings).
Granddad worked on the Burma railroad. Dad was in a male prison camp even though he was only 11 or 12. The others were in a camp with grandma
Dad passed away exactly 2 years ago today. On his birthday. So having a couple of cold ones now

There is a very good museum/exhibition in Thailand in Kwai (remember the bridge...), run or set up by aussi

Read "Vimy" recently by Pierre Burton. My Grandfather fought in this battle, I don't know if he was in the first wave "going over the top", on April 9th 1917, or a subsequent wave. The Canadians revolutionized warfare to take Vimy Ridge in WW1, and it was this battle that first gave Canada a National Identity. Not to glorify war in anyway, but the Canadian army accomplished in a few months what the British and American armies could not for 2 years.
It is really hard to fathom what these men went through.
Picture won't upload...

Just started "In The Garden of Good and Evil" by Erik Larson. A twisted story of love an hate before WWII.

Back