What are you listening to now

My daughter heard Living After Midnight by Judas Priest the other day in the radio. A few minutes ago I told her to clean up some toys and she asked me to play “the midnight song” so I shed a tear and feel like I’m killing with parenting stuff hahaha. Next up is more Van Halen
Oh no, corrupting the next generation with rock and/or roll! Won't someone think of the children? :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Oh no, corrupting the next generation with rock and/or roll! Won't someone think of the children? :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Well, Josh is a teacher so he has that magic touch. An example of that power is the fact that my daughter never liked 80's music until one of her favorite teachers in high school played it regularly during class. Then 80's music then became cool!

A band that came out of the land @Yooper lives in during the summer, Lord Huron. They are based in Los Angeles. If a band can paint pictures with music, this is one of them. Discovered their music on KCRW one morning while driving to work around spring 2014. In 2015, saw them in concert for the first time. Saw them again in 2018 at a classic Los Angeles venue, the Greek Amphitheater. Saw them again last October in San Diego, CA. Gonna see them again this May in Portland, Oregon. My wife and I are fans!

Shuffle of “my year in review” Amazon music. Decent mix. Finishing up this pint then off to bed. Good wind down

Listening to Finnish Folk Metal (yes there is such a thing) Korpiklaani. They have a number of drinking songs like Beer-Beer and Wooden Pints but the best one is Vodka

Sirius XM, Channel 21 (Classic Vinyl). ELO "Telephone Line"
My Sirius XM is usually sitting on either Classic Vinyl or Classic Rewind. Love ELO! @RoadRoach, If you're paying full price, call them up and tell them you want to cancel. You'll then get it for ~$6/mo for the next 12 months.

My Sirius XM is usually sitting on either Classic Vinyl or Classic Rewind. Love ELO! @RoadRoach, If you're paying full price, call them up and tell them you want to cancel. You'll then get it for ~$6/mo for the next 12 months.
Have done that before. But the price keeps creeping up up up. It's now more than double what I paid for original subscription, despite taking the package content down a few notches. It was free for 6 months when I got the truck. Liked it enough to pay for it then, but the price is beginning to outweigh the advantages, especially since I don't spend nearly as much time in the truck as I used to.

This is probably the best cover of a classic song that is distinctly different from the original. Paul Simon actually told the band they did a great job. Something I don't think he'd ever done for a cover on one of his songs.

This is probably the best cover of a classic song that is distinctly different from the original. Paul Simon actually told the band they did a great job. Something I don't think he'd ever done for a cover on one of his songs.
Funny, but I'd written an additional blurb about that very video. BY FAR, that's better than the original. He put the anger and soul in it that the song deserves. Paul Simon more sounds like he's crying through the whole thing. This dude sounds completely pissed off, which is what we should be about censorship and what is happening in our country today. I figured my blurb was too political, so I cut it back out. But I'll add back in, that I think that song needed the emotion in it that they added to truly convey its message.

Throw in a heaping helping of Led Zepplin, Wet Willie, Lynnyrd Skynnyrd, and all the classic rock she can stand. Some Doobies and Eagles if ya have it. If she's anything like my granddaughter, she'll prefer it over what her friends listen to because there's so much more talent and creativity in the music fo the 60's 70's and 80's. My 14-year-old granddaughter knows every word to Led Zepplin's "Black Dog" and will scream "CRANK IT UP!" any time Zepplin comes on. Strangely, she doesn't care for long guitar solos (or so she claims despite Jimmy Page's contributions). My missus is 10 years younger than me, so sort of bridges the gap between my children and me, who then bridge the gap between her and her kids, and then who bridge that gap to my grandchildren. Basically 4 generations steeped in Classic Rock, and Rock 'n Roll. I still say we boomers grew up with the best music ever, including and not limited to the changes in Rock as well as Country music. The changes in technology and skill sets during my lifetime just amaze me. Sometimes, though, her kids will let a little hip-hop or rap filter back up the ladder. I usually find a lawnmower that needs cranking when that happens.

There is good music being made in the present day, it just takes some looking (and listening) to find it.
That being said, I do think some of the best music was made in the 70’s, when I was growing up.

Funny, but I'd written an additional blurb about that very video. BY FAR, that's better than the original. He put the anger and soul in it that the song deserves. Paul Simon more sounds like he's crying through the whole thing. This dude sounds completely pissed off, which is what we should be about censorship and what is happening in our country today. I figured my blurb was too political, so I cut it back out. But I'll add back in, that I think that song needed the emotion in it that they added to truly convey its message.

I don't see it as a song about censorship. Rather I see it as a song about people not talking to each other; either by inability or by personal choice. The fact that both songs take very different approaches to the same song is what l love about them. Both songs had the sound appropriate for the time period they were produced in. Like @RoadRoach, I prefer Disturbed's version but, I still think Simon & Garfunkel's version is great too.

Back