What are you doing with homebrew today?

The kolsch has finished around 1.008. I'm going to let it rise to room temp for a day or two to finish fully and rise to 10 psi on the spunding valve. I'm chilling the IPA and put it on a little bit of pressure to counteract any oxygen ingress. Once it hits 50F I'll dry hop it, continue to chill, and crank the CO2 up to force carb. Should be ready in a few days :) I'm also looking over the new BJCP guidelines. Exciting stuff!

Not sure if you are serious or making fun. :)

Brewed David Heath's ESB yesterday. While the temps (28 °F/ -2 °C) may seem cold (to everyone but Hawkbox), the sun and calm winds made for an enjoyable brew day. I planned to use Imperial A09 Pub ale but, LHBS was out so I used Omega (OYL-016) British Ale VIII instead. Supposed to be the same strain so the only difference was 25% fewer yeast cells. I had wanted the larger starting yeast cell cont because I wouldn't have time to make a starter. This morning I am starting to see airlock activity, so looking good there.

Brewed David Heath's ESB yesterday. While the temps (28 °F/ -2 °C) may seem cold (to everyone but Hawkbox), the sun and calm winds made for an enjoyable brew day. I planned to use Imperial A09 Pub ale but, LHBS was out so I used Omega (OYL-016) British Ale VIII instead. Supposed to be the same strain so the only difference was 25% fewer yeast cells. I had wanted the larger starting yeast cell cont because I wouldn't have time to make a starter. This morning I am starting to see airlock activity, so looking good there.
I have brewed that as well, absolutely loved that one!

I am monitoring 2 fermentations; Belgian Dubbel brewed on 12/13 is still bubbling slowly, and my Azacca pale ale brewed on 12/27 is active.
For some reason, I have an interest in possibly switching back to my tap water for brewing, so I have been researching my city’s water report. It is an interesting situation here in Anaheim, CA. We get groundwater pumped from local wells, along with MWD (Metropolitan Water District) water sourced both from the Colorado River and Northern California via the state water project. There is a reservoir and city owned water treatment plant (Lenain) not far from my home, which presumably processes primarily MWD water. The city water report lists average concentrations for the treatment plant (Lenain), for groundwater and for MWD. I am not really sure what I should consider as my source. According to Palmer, this is pretty good water for brewing, except for the total alkalinity being above the recommended range. Of course, this is all based on 2020 data
image.jpg

I fermented with that yeast at 68-70 for a few days then let it go 70-72 till it finished up. Nice esters

I fermented with that yeast at 68-70 for a few days then let it go 70-72 till it finished up. Nice esters

I'm shooting for the same. Currently side of fermenter temp is 66°F (19°C) so I expect in the middle it's about 69°F.

Just bottled up a batch of Leffe Abbey Blonde. A little concerned, but hopefully just being a little paranoid. Found a couple tiny patches of what looked like mold on the lid of the fermenter. This is the batch that I had a lotta trouble with it deciding to finally get off ground zero and start fermenting. Nearly 4 days before any activity showed up in the air lock. Krausen ring was there, and the normal brownish tan I'm used to seeing. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary there. When it did finally start bubbling, didn't take long for it to go back to rest. Left it in the fermenter for 22 days, total. (Brew date was 12/12/21). Maybe too long, dunno. Didn't taste off, but gotta remember I'm tasting raw unconditioned beer. Seems I remember a slightly sour taste in the first batch I did too, until after conditioning. Hoping that's just the yeast. FG was still pretty high (1.014) but OG started at 1.068. I used dry yeast this time, which may have been my downfall. However, it cleared up nicely in the bottles as I recall, but very sensitive sediment when pouring. Takes nearly nothing to stir it up. Dunno whether it's the yeast that gives it the slightly sour flavor, or the fact I'd just had a mouthful of sweet coffee when I sampled it. Not horrible, just slightly sour and flat on the first taste. Didn't taste the sour so much on the second taste. Smells great. Very cloudy, like the last batch was until conditioning. It's a Belgian Wheat, what can I say? All grain batch, so lotsa work in it. Really gonna hate to lose this one if it is infected. Need it for shelf stock. Buying Kona Big Wave at the moment. YUM!. Might be time for another batch of that. Guess I'll know something around next Saturday. Sure would hate to pour 50 bottles down the drain. It smells delicious, but there's those little black specks I found on the lid ..... Nothing out of order with the air lock and no apparent problems around the o-ring. Still had a very slight positive pressure (bell was floating), so I'm hoping this was just something that was only on the lid.

Got a batch of Rapier Wit (Blue Moon clone) that I'll bottle next weekend. The Rapier was exactly the opposite of the Leffe. By next morning, it was bubbling like crazy. No guessing how some of these are going to go, but I don't remember the Leffe taking that long to get started last time. Pretty sure I had it in bottles after only 15 days. I've slept twice since then, though.

Filling up my future brewing room with boxes and totes, need the space right now as the rest of the basement space is nearly completed, but not ready for "stuff".

Back