Well-rounded specialty malt

Been thinking about a dry hoppy red-x beer, does that sound like something that'd work? 100% red-x, long slow mash and a medium to big whilrpool and dry hop. Cold, carbonated, hoppy and an interesting colour? Or is it going to leave a fair bit of body, even with a long mash?

Been thinking about a dry hoppy red-x beer, does that sound like something that'd work? 100% red-x, long slow mash and a medium to big whilrpool and dry hop. Cold, carbonated, hoppy and an interesting colour? Or is it going to leave a fair bit of body, even with a long mash?
I have absolutely no idea, but I am 100% behind you giving it a try (and letting us know how it turns out)! :D
I have never used more than ~15% in combination with Vienna, but haven't noticed any significant flavor or conversion issues with it. The specs from BEST (https://bestmalz.de/files/specs/Malt_Information_BEST_Red_X_Bestmalz.pdf) seem to indicate maybe a slightly lower conversion, but otherwise A-okay as a base malt.
Give it a go! (...and let us know!)

@Mark Farrall I wonder, if the above is the case, then maybe 50-90% redX cut with some pilsner for conversion help? (similar to how some make Marzen beer) - However, @thunderwagn mentioned using it as a base/solo - he's probably got the answer!

Redx can be used 100% as a base malt.
Here's a batch mashing. Zoom in to the Grainfather connect screen you can see it says Redx. Og for that was 1.062 with 100% Redx.
IMG_20200816_093811.jpg

Yeah, I'd say munich would be a close comparison. It's got a great malty flavor but not cloyingly sweet if that makes sense. Just a nice rich malt. Imo it makes a very nice 'red ipa'.
There is lots of info on this malt over on HBT. There's a thread over there that's pages long with lots of decent info.

Back