weizen

CRAFT SERIES YEAST
M20
BAVARIAN WHEAT for full desertpoin
FLOCCULATION
USAGE DIRECTIONS
Sprinkles dicy on up 2 US Gal) of wort Ferment 18-30°C
^^^ translation error up there but it's got the ferment range wow up to 30°c !

I hear fermenting wheat yeast on the cooler side delivers more Clove and warmer bannana.

I consider my self a newbie in regards to wheat beers though I just read alot of forum talk and watch alot of brew tube witch helps me inform the posts I submit :).

Really interested in this thread though as I love to learn.

Looking forward to others opinions...

So what hops ya gunna use Zambezi?

OK, I will go with Ben's suggestion and just do a one step maisch, followed by a 2nd batch more experimental batch.
What temperature for the 1-step?
What fermentation temperature for both cloves & banana, but not too much of each?
I'll be using Mangrove Jack's M20, Bavarian wheat
I would suggest 154F, 68C, plus or minus 1C or so. At cool as 67, as hot as 70 but not more. You can expect banana, not as much clove.

CRAFT SERIES YEAST
M20
BAVARIAN WHEAT for full desertpoin
FLOCCULATION
USAGE DIRECTIONS
Sprinkles dicy on up 2 US Gal) of wort Ferment 18-30°C
^^^ translation error up there but it's got the ferment range wow up to 30°c !

I hear fermenting wheat yeast on the cooler side delivers more Clove and warmer bannana.

I consider my self a newbie in regards to wheat beers though I just read alot of forum talk and watch alot of brew tube witch helps me inform the posts I submit :).

Really interested in this thread though as I love to learn.

Looking forward to others opinions...

So what hops ya gunna use Zambezi?
:eek: I wouldn't go anywhere near 30°C!

I think Don's got it right.

@Zambezi Special What yeast do you have available to you? Some yeast will throw more esters (fruity like banana or bubblegum) while others will throw more phenols (clove like compounds). If you're wanting more phenols, there are some yeast strains that will put that more forward, especially at the low end of the temperature range. At higher temperatures, most yeast will blow banana esters and at really high temperatures, you'll have a beer suited for monkeys.......

I think a single temperature rest mash with the right yeast strain is a better idea that a multi step mash. Once you get this batch done, if you think you want to try a ferulic acid rest in the future, of course that's always an option. Step mashing used to be a real thing for homebrewers to prove their mettle, but many of us now know that usually it doesn't make much of a difference....

Every now and then though I'll do a decoction, just to prove I still can I guess. :)

:eek: I wouldn't go anywhere near 30°C!

I think Don's got it right.
Funny, that. Stressing the yeast with high fermentation temperatures brings out esters (but not Esther, that weird lady down the block) and so more monkey-brew (banana). I think MJ is saying their yeast can survive a 30C fermentation.

Funny, that. Stressing the yeast with high fermentation temperatures brings out esters (but not Esther, that weird lady down the block) and so more monkey-brew (banana). I think MJ is saying their yeast can survive a 30C fermentation.
Yeah I was just stating the case not recommending it.

Actually mixed reviews on that yeast online some saying it's similar to fermentis wb 06 I've used sthat diastaticus strain which wheat beer an i got clove zilch banana.

Some saying it was also too neutral.

I'd go the cool fermentation to express the Clove compounds .

Now what hops would one recommend in traditional hefeweitzen?

I see Cascade in spin off's such as Bluemoon...

Yeah I was just stating the case not recommending it.

Actually mixed reviews on that yeast online some saying it's similar to fermentis wb 06 I've used sthat diastaticus strain which wheat beer an i got clove zilch banana.

Some saying it was also too neutral.

I'd go the cool fermentation to express the Clove compounds .

Now what hops would one recommend in traditional hefeweitzen?

I see Cascade in spin off's such as Bluemoon...
Blue moon is a weisse beer, not a weitzen. Two different styles that both use wheat.

Hefeweitzen traditionally uses Hallertau Mittelfrueh.

Blue moon is a weisse beer, not a weitzen. Two different styles that both use wheat.

Hefeweitzen traditionally uses Hallertau Mittelfrueh.
Ah so the difference is the yeast choice ?

Weisse Weitzen hefeweitzen Krystall-weitzen

See this is why I just call it wheat beer :).

Ah so the difference is the yeast choice ?

Weisse Weitzen hefeweitzen Krystall-weitzen

See this is why I just call it wheat beer :).
Mostly the yeast. But everything else a little too.

PXL_20230718_201453822.jpg

I have one on right now that I'm really happy with.
I went for clove with the ferulic acid.rest @113° then infused to 152°. Fermented cold @64°.
Definitely got the clove!
The Brew Master at our Hofbrauhaus ferments @ 72° and make a mighty tasty one as well.
Many ways to do it.
Cheers

Last edited:
@Yooper, not much choice here. I bought mj 20, so thats what I will use.

I was thinking of noble hops.
Saaz or Perle or so
Gotta check what I got in stock

Nice info all!
Definitely getting me into the right direction

Not yet a recipe, but some questions on how to brew.

I got quite a primitive set up.
Gas, pot, biab and mash by putting pot with bag and malt inside a duvet lined cooler box.

Most weizen recipes I see have a rest at fairly low temps to enhance clove taste.
Could I heat (hardly and heating necessary) to that temperature (ok, little above) then add grains. Put in cooler box to maintain temperature.
Remove grains and keep to the side.
Heat the liquid and continue as per 1-step mash?

Alternatively, I have to try heat up in the pot and construct a false bottom. But method described above would fit my system better mobile welder atlanta
  1. Temperature Accuracy: When using a cooler box to maintain temperature, it might be a bit challenging to accurately maintain a specific temperature. Cooler boxes can lose heat over time, and the fluctuations might affect the outcome of your step infusion. Be prepared to monitor the temperature closely.

2. Insulation: Adding the grains to a pre-heated mash water mixture can help maintain a higher initial temperature when transferred to the cooler box. Insulate the cooler box well with your duvet to prevent heat loss during the rest.

3. Mash Timing: Remember that enzymatic activity during mashing depends on both temperature and time. If you're using a step infusion method, you might need to adjust the timing of your temperature rest to ensure proper conversion of starches to sugars.

4. Heat Loss: When you add the grains, the temperature will drop due to the thermal mass of the grains. This might make it challenging to achieve and maintain the desired rest temperature unless you insulate the cooler very well.

5. Grain Removal: Removing the grains after the rest and then reheating the liquid can introduce additional steps and potential complications, but it's definitely possible. Make sure to use a method that prevents the grains from being scorched or sticking to the pot during reheating.

6. Consistency: Consistency is key in brewing. If you can achieve a consistent and accurate temperature rest using your method, then it's a viable approach.

7. False Bottom Method: Constructing a false bottom and performing a single-step mash might be simpler in terms of process, especially if your cooler setup might have temperature control challenges.
Before you brew, I recommend conducting a trial run to see how well your equipment and method can hold a specific temperature and how it responds to adjustments. This way, you can fine-tune your approach and ensure you're getting the desired results.

Not yet a recipe, but some questions on how to brew.

I got quite a primitive set up.
Gas, pot, biab and mash by putting pot with bag and malt inside a duvet lined cooler box.

Most weizen recipes I see have a rest at fairly low temps to enhance clove taste.
Could I heat (hardly and heating necessary) to that temperature (ok, little above) then add grains. Put in cooler box to maintain temperature.
Remove grains and keep to the side.
Heat the liquid and continue as per 1-step mash?

Alternatively, I have to try heat up in the pot and construct a false bottom. But method described above would fit my system better

Maybe i can help a bit. If you want to achieve a similar profile for your weissbier using what you have i woiuld sudgest these steps to take into consideration. By reading the threads its all over theplace. heres a simple way of doing this with a few steps. if it gets confusing lemme know.

Ok so you want to BIAB lets say youll have an automatic efficiency of about 55 to 60%. (my grainfather is 60% efficient) with the program of brewers friend you can put the efficiency in then if your liquid cannot fit into the pot thats fine!! just adjust the total final volum going into the fermenter total! then you can adjust pre boil then post boil. even if this does not match it will at the end. When you are finished boiling etc you will then add the rest of the volum of water you needed to get to the final pre fermentation volum. by doing this you will get the final result you are looking for. (kinda like high gravity brewing)

if you are using modified malts you do not need anything but a single infusion at 67c. the 45c rest is a 4 vinaly glycol. this rest will help add clove to your beer by converting it by the yeast. it helps for atraditional weissbier. we do this in germany all the time. a 15 min rest is more than enough, the yeast will do the rest then up it to 67c and leave till convertion is done mash out etc.

i would ferment at 17c if you want to balance this out ads banana flavour if you want a more clove beer increase the tem to 18-23c.

If you want to do a decoction, this is so time consuming and difficult for most people just add no more than 5% melanoiden this will mimic the same flavour body etc of a decoction, goes for most beers.

WAter profile is super simple. if you are using RO water or purified water do the simple 2g calcium chloride 1g sulfate for the mash then do the same for the sparge (just add sparge salts straight to the boil kettle) youll have an awesome beer

Carbonation level is a bit tricky depends if you are using bottles,cans or kegs. if you are using bottles carbonate to 2.7 vol co2 if you are using cans target a bit higher 2.9 to 3.2 vol co2 keg is great around 3.0 to 3.3 gives that awesome long lasting foam in the glass.

if you are using a bag in a pot for BIAB you can go without a false bottom just make sure the bag is not sitting on the bottom of the pot. you can twist the bag and roll it with your spoon over top of the pot to hold in place. .

NOTE!!! BIAB please wait at least 75 to 90 min for the convertion to happen. just in case. if th e grans cant touch the water properly it takes a bit longer to convert and we dont want any unconverted starch in our beers.

hope this helps a bit. cheers

Thanks
The weizen has been postponed for a while unfortunately.
Hot season is starting...

Back