Weevils in the malt

M. Joskey

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a little strange to me not having found this topic on the Forum, so I'm obliged to post it.

I've had a bad experience with a contaminated wheat malt, which developed an important amount of those tiny and horrible black insects with a hard body, so badly that it was necessary to get rid of the malt. Has anyone had this problem with their malts? How is it possible to prevent this?

Thank you!

All my malt goes into those air tight containers designed for dog food. can hold a 55 pound sack with plenty of room to spare. Never had any problems with pests. Considering I live in Florida with every type of bug known to man, I'd say they work pretty good.

Ive had baby moths pop out of a bag of rice hulls before, same here i keep everything in sealed containers but one day opened the lid and they all flew out as tiny as Ive ever seen, doesn't really matter, I mash for at least an hour and boil for 90 minutes, that should kill anything possible

I did on my first bag of wheat malt. Someone mentioned to put the grains in a bucket and add C02 to drive the air out. I started to pick them out but there was too many. I tossed the grain out and never ordered a sack of wheat malt again. No sure what the homebrew store does though, I mean if I get them, they get them.

Back