Ways to prevent or deal with boil overs??

I wait until I'm through the break then set timer it's a each to his/her own one I think. As long as the wort is boiling.

I wait until I'm through the break then set timer it's a each to his/her own one I think. As long as the wort is boiling.
That's my approach as well - in case I have to turn off the heat and let the break settle before proceeding. But a few minutes either way won't matter a whole lot.

if you add your hops before or during the hot break they push to the outside and stick to the kettle wall, that's why I add after a rolling boil and start the time then as well

I first wort hop most of the time now but yeah that makes sense. I don't start my boil timer until just after the hot break.

I have never taken long enough to drain to be boiling while draining though

And that's the question. I am posing this question as a way to get my boil, a good rigorous boil, going in my 8 gallon pot while not having the pot so full.

The ends I am trying to reach is no chill haze in my blonde ale short of buying a larger pot or brewing a smaller batch.

Same here. Start the timer and add the bittering addition after hot break recedes. Boiling 8.25 gallons in a 14 gallon kettle, I really don't worry about boil overs, but putting a mesh bag type hop spider in with all of that foam creates its own problems. Just a lot cleaner to let the foam recede.

I found another way to prevent boil overs. Run the lp tank dry before it starts to boil :p:D

Lucky I have two...

You don't need a crazy boil, there is no real benefit to that unless you're trying to boil off more water in that time frame. A nice steady boil will get you everything you need.

A nice steady boil will get you everything you need.

Hmmmm. That may explain the haze I had in the Blonde Ale. As I recall, I kept turning the gas up and down to keep the boil overs under control. Despite all the potential names for the brew with a "dumb blonde' joke punchline, haze was not what I really wanted in my brew..or women for that matter!

I don't know if boil variance has an impact on that or not but I know you don't have to boil the piss out of it. I try to keep a nice steady boil so that I have a predictable end volume.

Probably with wheat beer its proteins haze I hear the wheat malt is higher in protein so results in hazy beer. Getting the right PH 5.2 should help with protein coagulation on the chill down. You'll see it in the hydrometer when taking that FG sample. I expect my wheat beer to be hazy I'd imagine a crystal weizen takes some time to drop clear and probably different yeast strain.

Back