Water Testing

Wood House Hall

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed in previouse threads, but I was curious what kinds of water testing methods/tools/kits most of you are using for your water profile management.

I am at a point where I'm ready to really get into the chemistry side of brewing and I am eager to start balancing water profiles. I have used mostly bottled spring water for my brews with success, but I would like to start conditioning my water profiles closer to style guidelines.

How are most of you doing this?

Is is it testing then adding brew salts, etc.? If so, what methods are you folks using to test and measure water alkalinity/pH?

Thanks!

I haven't had my water tested as such I go off my local government water suppliers water information website quarterly. I just purchased a ph meter so now I can test my mash ph and my water ph . I know now the water coming out my filter is ph 7 not eitght as is on water website:rolleyes:. I've mainly been playing with sulphite to chloride ratios in my beers. Last beer was first to add calcium carbonate but I've been leaving this out as I find it lifts my ph up which I'm trying to reduce ha ha:p. I'm going to buy mr Palmers water book but I'm sure it will unravel more mysteries of water and brewing with it. But according to brulosophers many exbeerments the few to reach statistical difference has been the water exbeerments. So water is important.

Back