Water Requirements issues

Brewer #296232

Premium Member
Reaction score
The main problem is wrong grain absorption losses - with 2.22 kg of grains and 0.85 l/kg absorption rate, the QWR number is -3.9

The secondary issue is boil off losses, which shows -1.9 even though equipment profile has 2 l/h and recipe has 60 minutes boil.

Here is the recipe

upload_2022-3-13_11-13-38.png

upload_2022-3-13_11-13-56.png

Here is my equipment profile

upload_2022-3-13_11-15-10.png

Here is weird QWR

upload_2022-3-13_11-16-35.png

Have you pushed the "Calc" button near pre and post boil values before getting the QWR? They did an update recently and I remember my numbers being weird if I didn't hit calc first

Have you pushed the "Calc" button near pre and post boil values before getting the QWR? They did an update recently and I remember my numbers being weird if I didn't hit calc first
Sure did - this is where the weird 10.09 post boil volume came from!

IDK How or why, but it's fixed.

@Brewer #296232 The issue was that your recipe has a historical record of an old equipment profile version, and wasn't updating. I went in to your account and edited the equipment profile, saved it, edited it back and all should be good now!

upload_2022-3-13_14-26-42.png

upload_2022-3-13_14-27-8.png

ABA4E4DC-9E55-4E07-98CD-E9A2C0AD7898.png
69239B84-66EF-4DAC-B1E4-511024DFE461.png
OK, so here is what I am getting when trying to create a new recipe. Recently, I updated my equipment profile to account for higher boil off losses, but that change was only an increase of 1 quart per hour. Usually, my strike water volume is between 3.75 and 4 gallons, and I have never before seen any top off amount in any of my recipes. My 5.5 gallon kettle has plenty of room to accommodate the full mash volume and grain.
I sure hope this can be fixed.

Thank you @Herm_brews for reaching out and reporting this issue, it wasn't occurring no beta as we have a change coming to the calc button and so the error didn't exist on beta.

Good news is the QWR is actually working correctly. The bad news is the calc button is non functional.

If you go in and manually input the preboil/postboil what they should be, in your example it looks like it should be an even 4 and 3 gallons respectively, then the QWR output will be correct.

upload_2022-3-20_8-24-27.png

Obviously this is not okay, and we will fix immediately.

@Pricelessbrewing as I dig around to try to figure out what I can do, I find that my equipment profile has changed. I have an Ss Brewtech 5.5 gallon kettle. My profile used to indicate it as a 22 quart capacity, now it autofills as 40 quarts. I recently increased my boil off from 3 to 4 quarts per hour, somehow it is now up to 5 per hour. I had my grain absorption set at .25 quarts per pound, it is now at .32 quarts per pound. My efficiency is listed as 70% when I had it set to 80%. I’m going crazy over here. What is happening?

@Herm_brews That is concerning,

I'm logged into your account right now and this is what I see

Strange, I wish I would have taken a screen shot. I just looked at my equipment profile, and confirm what you are seeing.

Strange, I wish I would have taken a screen shot. I just looked at my equipment profile, and confirm what you are seeing.
Okay *phew* well glad it all fixed itself. Sometimes weird stuff happens when you open a page during an update rollout, your browser sometimes will roll back to a cached version of the page.

Back