Water quality question

Bowhunter64

Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this probably sounds bad but I live within 5 miles of a landfill as a result they sample my well water every year. My well is 236 feet deep so I'm not too concerned about it. But from a brewing perspective what should I be looking for on the report they send me? I see my PH is 8.31

just filter the water with 2 carbon filters, most beers you'll be fine with some acid to lower the ph but as far as the water report you'll have to post it and go through the water calculator

Or brew nothing but dark beers. The pH isn't as important as the ion content and the hardness. That's why Ozark's stating you need the full water report to make any decisions as to treatment.

yes dark beers are very forgiving, Ill give you an example, here is the ward labs report then what I put in for my water in my profile

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 22 11.15.jpg
    ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 22 11.15.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 251
  • ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 23 04.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 23 04.40.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 235
So, I have to ask, OMB, why did you use 139 as your bicarb number when the report shows 137?? Everything else was copied straight over.

oh good catch I guess its a typo, well after close inspection the website did that not me, the HC03 is calculated by the site and not an input but its close enough

most people might not know this but if you create a water profile in your general settings top right. water profile tab you can add it, keep it private or share it with the site, also it shows up when you click on the water calculator in the recipe editor then you can change it to suit your needs in the Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator, its a little involved so I would read the bottom before using

I just last night ordered from Ward labs to get my brewing water report. On to something new. This one won't be as easy to grasp as previous brewing endeavors. I haven't had a chemistry class since high school.

yes but its not that hard so error on the theory that less is more, try a little at a time, as you can see my water is both low in calcium and sulfate for most recipes and thats easily fixed with adding 1.5 tsp of gypsum and thats all I need

not sure if this is public or not but this is an example
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... id=RW28GVX

We sure do have a lot of water treatment threads. I feel quite left out. I wouldn't know a bicarb if it bit me in the gypsum!

it is the most important part of making beer mostly because its the main ingredient

Maybe I'm lucky to live where I live, and have the water that I have. I never mess with water, and I'm very happy with what I brew.

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
yes but its not that hard so error on the theory that less is more, try a little at a time, as you can see my water is both low in calcium and sulfate for most recipes and thats easily fixed with adding 1.5 tsp of gypsum and thats all I need

not sure if this is public or not but this is an example
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... id=RW28GVX

Nice example to look at. Thanks for posting that.

Back