Water profile with lactic acid

deeJay

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a question about the water calculators. I recently used the basic water calc to get my profile to light and hoppy for my Pale ale. this I found easy and added the necesary salts.

Next brew I used the advanced water calculator as my pH has always been around 5.7 and have tried using additives to lower it with no luck so thought I would try Lactic acid.
I added the required salts in the calculator to get my profile to light and hoppy, same as the basic calculator but once I put in the calculated lactic acid the all the elements were thrown way off the mark for light and hoppy.

My question is do I adjust the water again to suit my wanted profile after adding the lactic acid to the calculator or leave ?
Cheers.

try phosphoric, it won't change anything except lower the ph and alkalinity and alkalinity below 0 is just fine

Hi all,
I have a question about the water calculators. I recently used the basic water calc to get my profile to light and hoppy for my Pale ale. this I found easy and added the necesary salts.

Next brew I used the advanced water calculator as my pH has always been around 5.7 and have tried using additives to lower it with no luck so thought I would try Lactic acid.
I added the required salts in the calculator to get my profile to light and hoppy, same as the basic calculator but once I put in the calculated lactic acid the all the elements were thrown way off the mark for light and hoppy.

My question is do I adjust the water again to suit my wanted profile after adding the lactic acid to the calculator or leave ?
Cheers.

What do you mean the "elements were thrown way off the mark"? It shouldn't change the amount of calcium, chloride or sulfate in the water. Can you post a couple of screen shots?

EDITED
Can't understand that. pH adjustment is always done after figuring other additions. Are you sure you didn't lead off with the acid and follow with salts?

Last edited:
What do you mean the "elements were thrown way off the mark"? It shouldn't change the amount of calcium, chloride or sulfate in the water. Can you post a couple of screen shots?
Hi Yooper, ignore my post, I have since sorted this out. Must have pushed the wrong button somewhere, cheers.

Back