Water filter maintenance

Karl@OneMore

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am using a water filter from More Beer (FIL32). Does anyone have any recommendations for maintenance?
Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

First is this for water or wort? if water just change the filter once a year or two depending on how much you brew if its wort change it every time you use it

Good question! It's for water, not wort.
Thanks for the info!

Filter...? I am curious.

Looks like a carbon filter, something similar to what I use for my drinking (and brewing) water.

same just changed out cartridges for my 2 stage water filter. one is a carbon filter .5 micron i think and the other is a .5 miron cloath style filter. water goes through sediment filter first then through carbon filter then into me belly delish.

i change my cartridges 6 monthly and its good to be drinking from it too so you can start to taste when its needing changing.

I go by flow. When it’s slow, I change them. About every 5 months.

I have a two stage carbon water filter just for brewing and the filters are rated for a whole house once a year, since I only brew about once a month on average I just replace them every 2 years, I inspect and there fine but i can tell by how fast the water flows through them, there should be some restriction and even if the fitters aren't dirty if the water is coming too fast its time

How much are you guys spending on these? I'm not sure my water warrants a filter but I'd be curious.

I meant in a general sense, cause I don't have a system at all.

I connect my camper water hose from the hose tap to my 2 filters then right to the hlt and that's alI I use it for, I drain and store them in the house when i'm not brewing

Ah you use the camper system? Gotcha. I see a lot of RO systems but they seem serious and I'm not sure about what the options are.

Something like my system will cost $200 or more. (I paid $150 or so years ago.) My replacement filters cost $40-45. I like it.

I have allot of brewing parts this is what I built, not sure what its cost, I build things on a whim sometimes, some from parts I have and some i buy

WP_20161005_001.jpg

I wondered about that, my water isn't bad enough to warrant putting a $200 rig into to filter it. At least not yet.

RO systems cost a bit more than carbon based. And from what I understand, they pour slower.

carbon filter here in aus $50 sediment $15
or you buy a two stage for 99 but im sure thats without the carbon filter. i filter my drinking water so its hooked up inline under my kitchen sink duel purpose.

i dont recon its worth going RO if your water is already soft youll add back most salts anyhow.

I'm using one of those RV carbon inline filters I bought at Walmart for about 20 bucks since I have well water. The tap is on a Culligan whole house softener that I bypass by taking water at the pressure tank. I get clean water with a 6.8 Ph. After use, I put the plugs back in, wrap the filter up in a ziplock bag and stick it in the fridge. I give it a couple gallons flush the next time I use it just to get rid of any off flavors that might be there. I can't give a good reason why I keep it in the fridge...I guess the idea of stinky water is more likely in a warm or tepid environment in my mind

Back