Water Chemistry

Brewer #404298

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Had my water tested. Figured out what I need to add to my water. I have a water profile saved.

I don't understand how to bring that data into a new recipe so it shows the adds. Do I need to create a new water calculation for each brew?

Had my water tested. Figured out what I need to add to my water. I have a water profile saved.

I don't understand how to bring that data into a new recipe so it shows the adds. Do I need to create a new water calculation for each brew?
Not sure exactly which part you're asking about, but...

Make sure your source and target water profiles are selected for your recipe like so

1714400683788.png

You can pre-set the water chemistry agents you will use the most by adding them to your inventory and setting a default amount in your inventory.

1714400828570.png

Then when you create a new recipe, all of these will be pre-added to your new recipe with an amount of 1 and you can just change the amounts as needed to hit the target profile.

1714400802181.png

Then lastly, you can use the water chemistry links to create new "chemistry records" if you would like to, but it's actually no longer necessary as we have integrated all the calculations into the recipe builder itself. As you change the amounts in your water agents in the other ingredients, you'll see the overall water profile and mash pH change accordingly.

1714400913261.png

If you're asking why can't you just preset the amounts for all recipes to be the same, well you could be using the "default amounts" in your ingredients, but it's not that simple as every recipe has different grains and water amounts, so the water profile calculation will be different for different recipes and for different volumes, efficiencies, and batch sizes.

Some other competitor software does offer "ez buttons" to tell you what amounts to add to hit your target profiles, but in general they're not very accurate and will offer counterproductive additions that don't work in reality, like simultaneously adding chalk to lower the pH and hit your "hardness target" (but chalk isn't very water soluble and you should never be targeting a specific alkalinity or hardness), and also adding baking soda and then lactic acid as well.

We're working on adding a more useful friendly solution while also taking these errors into account, in the mean time it's really just a "hunt and peck" workflow to change the amounts by hand until you're happy with the results

As mentioned, there is a 'water calculator' that links off the main recipe page. Fiddle with those ingredients a bit until you have changed your water profile (from the test result) to whatever profile the beer calls for (there are a few pre-sets to choise from if you're not sure).

A gram or two of some of those ingredients is usually all it takes.

Hey guyse i want to ask something about water ph.
My mash ph is high about 6,4, but wen is the correct time to take the mash sample to measure the pH?
Lets say I'm done with chemicals and ph is ok, witch is the starting point? The time i added the chemical or the time i started the hole process?

Add others have said, your want to treat your water for the style and the batch your are making. You can't just add a set of brew salts for everything and call it good.

Knowing your water report helps in knowing how much of each thing you may need. Ex:if your water is high in calcium, you won't need as much(or any) of the brew salts that contain calcium.

Back