Water calculation problem with pre-boil volume

Misiak

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, does anyone have problems with correct water calculation for your brew? I brewed for the first time last week so I did not have exact numbers for my equipment so I've just use default values. Of course it was not very precise but at the end I've finished with this numbers:

I finished with 26L of fermenter volume. Mash thickness I used was 3L/kg so I've used 20.5L of mash water and 17L of sparging water. So I've used 37.5L of water. Pre-boil amount was 29.5L.My problem is that no way I've change the variables in my equipment profile I can't get these number properly calculated. It always shows wrong amount of pre-boil volume.

Therefore I've tried to use morebeer.com sparge water calculator and by settings the variables I was able to perfectly match with my real numbers. In the attachment you can see the comparison. Strike and sparge water is exactly the same but the pre-boil volume differs by 1L so I wonder if I can correct it somehow so it shows the same numbers. I've tried to changed all variables but pre-boil volume was always the same 30.7L.

Thanks.

Attachments

• diff.png
    diff.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 137
Thanks for the side by side comparison, we are looking at this to see what we can change.

Thanks for the side by side comparison, we are looking at this to see what we can change.
Thank you for a reply. Hopefully you can find a way how to add a contstant which help me to recalculate pre boil watter corretly for my setup. Then it will be perfect!

I’m talking water chemistry here. For example, when the water chemistry page comes up with 5.39 pH and the recipe says 5.48 after updating the link and saving, there is something wrong. This is happening with most of my recipes now, not with salts, but just acid additions. There is also an issue with retaining grams vs ml changes on citric vs lactic.

I would like to see more stability with the platform when revising existing recipes rather than more bells and whistles. Thanks.

I noticed the acids if you select it to calculate for you will show a number but not add it to the recipe unless you type it in the box beside the number they show. I just assumed it did it for me initially.
upload_2018-9-19_21-6-47.png

this is how is do it, select by target and I use 5.2 then click add

It didn't register that was something to click when I first started using it. I assumed that meant it was what it was adding to the recipe. Hence why I bring it up as I like to think I'm not stupid so other people might have missed it too. (I hope)

I noticed the acids if you select it to calculate for you will show a number but not add it to the recipe unless you type it in the box beside the number they show. I just assumed it did it for me initially.
View attachment 3913
Thanks Hawkbox. I was using that feature when linkage issues started for me. Went back to that today on some recipes and all was good. I have one recipe where I changed the name on the recipe and it’s water calc that’s not behaving. I may just have to start over with a new water calc for that recipe.

Back