Water calculation confusion

FedoraDave

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new to Brewer's Friend. I was using BrewToad, but they're shutting down at the end of the year and I'm in the process of setting myself up here for recipe development and brew day calculations.

I'm having a bit of a time setting my equipment profile up so it accurately reflects what I want in my Brew It! information.

I'm set up for BIAB for both 5.5 gallon batches and 3 gallon batches. (I always add a little extra to the 5 and 2.5 gallon volumes to make up for trub). I use mash tuns made from insulated water coolers like Home Depot sells. I just set the bag in the tun, and go from there, so I don't have enough dead space to worry about.

My problem is the initial water volume. I brewed a batch today, and using the BrewToad water calculator, I started with 4.25 gallons of water for 5 gallons of grain. I ended up with a pre-boil volume just under 4 gallons, and my post-boil volume was almost perfectly 3 gallons. I can live with this level of accuracy.

However, with the equipment profile I've set up for my 3 gallon batches, the Brew It! feature tells me I should start with 5.1 gallons. I can't figure out where my numbers are wrong. Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks.

Hi, all. I'm new to Brewer's Friend. I was using BrewToad, but they're shutting down at the end of the year and I'm in the process of setting myself up here for recipe development and brew day calculations.

I'm having a bit of a time setting my equipment profile up so it accurately reflects what I want in my Brew It! information.

I'm set up for BIAB for both 5.5 gallon batches and 3 gallon batches. (I always add a little extra to the 5 and 2.5 gallon volumes to make up for trub). I use mash tuns made from insulated water coolers like Home Depot sells. I just set the bag in the tun, and go from there, so I don't have enough dead space to worry about.

My problem is the initial water volume. I brewed a batch today, and using the BrewToad water calculator, I started with 4.25 gallons of water for 5 gallons of grain. I ended up with a pre-boil volume just under 4 gallons, and my post-boil volume was almost perfectly 3 gallons. I can live with this level of accuracy.

However, with the equipment profile I've set up for my 3 gallon batches, the Brew It! feature tells me I should start with 5.1 gallons. I can't figure out where my numbers are wrong. Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks.

It's got to be in the settings somewhere. Can you post a screenshot of your settings, and we can take a look? Also, look at the recipe and see what you have for the mash thickness, as I'm assuming no sparge?

Also, you may know this but you can export all of your Brewtoad files into Brewer's Friend with the "import recipes" tool. You'd export the Brewtoad files, and then import them into Brewer's Friend.

Back