Water additions help - Whit Beer

Tone

Trial Member
Reaction score
My water is terrible at my home and trying to get started creating a water profile from distilled/RO water.... my question is are there apps out there that you can plug in a water profile from an area and it will give you the salt additions based on your water profile? Or where is a good starting point.... I'm brewing an American Whit tonight that I really want the water profile better than I've brewed it the last 6 or 7 times. Any guidance/point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My water is terrible at my home and trying to get started creating a water profile from distilled/RO water.... my question is are there apps out there that you can plug in a water profile from an area and it will give you the salt additions based on your water profile? Or where is a good starting point.... I'm brewing an American Whit tonight that I really want the water profile better than I've brewed it the last 6 or 7 times. Any guidance/point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know of any software that will tell you how much of what to add.... Too many more variables than equations to solve that problem. The Advanced Water Calculator on this site will allow you to "play" with the profile and run scenarios based on your desired outcome. That's generally how I do it.

Brunwater is powerful but has a learning curve like a brick wall.

IF it was my beer, and I wanted the "easy button", I'd go with a simple 5 grams of calcium chloride per 5 gallons of water, and consider a tiny bit of acid malt to make sure the pH was in range. Call it 1-2% of the grainbill, and that should get you there.

For a wit, that's all you'd need.

Back