Washed Yeast

ltrog

Premium Member
Reaction score
BLUF: How do I use my washed yeast in my next brew session now that I have 4 quarts of this?

Details: I followed YouTube tutorials on washing yeast and believe I have four quart
Yeast_gif.gif
s of washed yeast. I put the four quarts of washed yeast in the refrigerator and today (24 hrs later) they have a thin film perhaps 3 mm thick formed at the bottom. The liquid on top of the film at the bottom appears to be the color of beer and accounts for the rest of the content of the quart jar. Now that I have this, I am not clear on what to do when it is time to brew again. Do I filter off the liquid at the top and use the cake at the bottom with a yeast starter when I brew again or do I use the entire content of the quart jar? Also, would I somehow use all four quarts for my next 5G batch or do I only need to use one of these jars?

leave it in the fridge to keep the yeast thick, then pour off all but about 1/4" of beer, then leave it at room temp for an hour or so then mix the yeast with the beer and pour into the fermenter

Me being me I'd do as Ozarks recommended but pitch it into some prepared starter liquid about 1lt and spin that up for 24 hrs chill decant then pitch that into your brew:).

Back