Voss Kviek Yeast

windy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I used a Voss Kviek Yeast for the first this week.
As I live in Thailand, I struggle to keep the Fermention temperture down to a low level, Its always around 28/30c .
So I tried a Kviek yeast and it went mad, never seen such a vigorous fermention it was all done in under 48 hours .
Im asking is this normal with this yeast and how long should i wait for it to be bottled .
best regards
Windy

Hey @windy that sounds about right for Voss Kveik, especially at high temps. Entertaining to watch, for sure (if your fermentation vessel is translucent). Be aware that Voss can leave your beer with a characteristic twang. Some like it, others don’t. What are you brewing?
I am of the mind that nothing should be bottled sooner than 3 weeks after brew day, but that’s just me and my process. Hopefully others will chime in.

Be ready for a musty orange flavor in the background. That has been consistent with my Voss brews, fermented hot (90f) or room temp (70f). I have stopped using Voss due to that funky musty orange taste. S-04 gets the job done nearly as quickly without the fuss at normal (70f)) temps. It's my go to yeast for my pale ales.

Hi All
I used a Voss Kviek Yeast for the first this week.
As I live in Thailand, I struggle to keep the Fermention temperture down to a low level, Its always around 28/30c .
So I tried a Kviek yeast and it went mad, never seen such a vigorous fermention it was all done in under 48 hours .
Im asking is this normal with this yeast and how long should i wait for it to be bottled .
best regards
Windy
Yep, it's normal.
I use Vos Kveik for the same reasons as you do.
Other than that, I do a bit like @Herm_brews does, 1 week fermenting, 1 week conditioning, then at least 2-3 days in the fridge.
I've had good results with a low alcohol ipa (was supposed to be a blonde, but my conversion was terrible, but it still became tasty) blondes & wheat beers (works well), red ale and tripel (fine but not special, due to operator error)
It's getting cooler here now, so pretty soon I'll be working with other yeasts as well

I have used VOSS a number of times in hazy beers, the flavor that has been mentioned works well for the style (in my opinion).
One of the reasons it works well in a NEIPA is that the beer can be ready real quick, and you can capture and enjoy the hop flavors and aromas. NEIPA is a tricky one to bottle and keep the O2 out, I personally keg most of my beer.
I used it once in a stout, initially I was disappointed with the outcome, but my plan was to bottle it and let it age for a few months.
After a couple of months that flavor was gone and the beer was as it was expected to be.

Yeah plus one on the above observations . I used Kveik exclusively for about a year and tried some Voss specifically to get that orange peachy flavor and fell short. What I did find was that Imperial Yeast's A44 blend was an aggressive and fast fermenter and very very clean.

As for @Craigerrr and his spot on comments for its use in NEIPAs, Voss is particularly good for them for the desired "juicy" quality, additionally, studies have found Voss to be a " Haze Positive" yeast*. I can't help to see irony and the wonders of nature that a little fungus from the northern latitudes finds itself used in the tropics! I

Finally, to your original question @windy , yes it's the expected behavior and I'd let your hydrometer be your guide. While @Herm_brews process works, we all brew a little different but if you have the tools, they tend to take out the guess work. I'm a bottler too and there's usually a week or more from pitch to prime for me but there are many small commercial brewers using Kveik specifically so the can turn a batch in days rather than weeks! For them it a faster return on their investment.

Let us know how it comes out!

*ref the Bru-lab Podcast

Yep, it's normal.
I use Vos Kveik for the same reasons as you do.
Other than that, I do a bit like @Herm_brews does, 1 week fermenting, 1 week conditioning, then at least 2-3 days in the fridge.
I've had good results with a low alcohol ipa (was supposed to be a blonde, but my conversion was terrible, but it still became tasty) blondes & wheat beers (works well), red ale and tripel (fine but not special, due to operator error)
It's getting cooler here now, so pretty soon I'll be working with other yeasts as well
thank you

thank you
Maybe have a Look out for different kviek verities just like with Standard beer yeasts there are a myriad of different characterful kviek strains.

LUTRA seems to be the new popular kviek strain maybe have a look out for this.

I've personally found most kviek strains struggle to clear up anytime soon.
I too spent a year going through a mad fermenting Kviek phase. Every beer I brewed had kviek in it bar Lager styles.
My favourite is Hornindal.

What about Hornindal is it that you liked @Trialben ? Do you think it would work with APA and IPA without temp control?
Definitely I found it had a lovely tropical fruity flavour it didn't have that sharp bitterness that comes with Voss and not citrus forward either.
I've found it compliments new world tropical fruit varieties just perfectly.
Just be careful I does suffer attention after a gen or three so keep it warm right through until finish.
I got an old Hombrewer hooked on brewing again just through uncontrolled warm fermentation abilities and quick finishing turn around power of good old Hornindal.
He first tasted one of my Voss fermented IPA style brews and said that's the best IPA I've ever tasted and wanted to pay for me to brew for him.

I said uh uh but I'll go one better I'll teach you to brew it and better! Win win i get free hoppy beer from time to time.

I put him onto Horney Hornindal and he was away totally loving it and pleasing his beer snob friends by the absolute juiciness of his Hazies.

I had one lady here tried my hoppy blond and she said it was like drinking tropical fruit punch.

Anyhow I think I'm craving some hops lol:).

Try our Hornindal atleast once ferment it nice and warm over 30c I usually hit 35 or whatever the kettle settles at.
Let me know how you fare.

Definitely I found it had a lovely tropical fruity flavour it didn't have that sharp bitterness that comes with Voss and not citrus forward either.
I've found it compliments new world tropical fruit varieties just perfectly.
Just be careful I does suffer attention after a gen or three so keep it warm right through until finish.
I got an old Hombrewer hooked on brewing again just through uncontrolled warm fermentation abilities and quick finishing turn around power of good old Hornindal.
He first tasted one of my Voss fermented IPA style brews and said that's the best IPA I've ever tasted and wanted to pay for me to brew for him.

I said uh uh but I'll go one better I'll teach you to brew it and better! Win win i get free hoppy beer from time to time.

I put him onto Horney Hornindal and he was away totally loving it and pleasing his beer snob friends by the absolute juiciness of his Hazies.

I had one lady here tried my hoppy blond and she said it was like drinking tropical fruit punch.

Anyhow I think I'm craving some hops lol:).

Try our Hornindal atleast once ferment it nice and warm over 30c I usually hit 35 or whatever the kettle settles at.
Let me know how you fare.
Thanks Ben, our summer is coming. We’ll get a taste of it this week, with high temps above 90F/32C

En verano mis IPA las hago con Voss de lelemand con temperatura no superior a 34C pero bajo presión a 2 bares 30psi
y realmente obtengo un amargor con tonos de pomelo rosado que les queda muy bien a las 24hs Dry Hop con cascade y citra.
3 días y clarifico con gelatina o frio a 3C por 4-5 días.
También con el mismo proceso pero una Stout con malta belga y en este caso los aromas y sabores
a cacao y chocolate enamoraron a todas las mujeres.
Etiqueta 370 Stout.png

En verano mis IPA las hago con Voss de lelemand con temperatura no superior a 34C pero bajo presión a 2 bares 30psi
y realmente obtengo un amargor con tonos de pomelo rosado que les queda muy bien a las 24hs Dry Hop con cascade y citra.
3 días y clarifico con gelatina o frio a 3C por 4-5 días.
También con el mismo proceso pero una Stout con malta belga y en este caso los aromas y sabores
a cacao y chocolate enamoraron a todas las mujeres.
View attachment 20221

Viejos Cañones said:
In summer I make my IPAs with Voss de lelemand with a temperature not higher than 34C but under pressure at 2 bars 30psi and I really get a bitterness with shades of pink grapefruit that suits the 24h Dry Hop with cascade and citra very well. 3 days and clarify with gelatin or cold at 3C for 4-5 days. Also with the same process but a Stout with Belgian malt and in this case the aromas and flavors of cocoa and chocolate made all the women fall in love.

he's right....Women like chocolates!

Viejos Cañones said:
In summer I make my IPAs with Voss de lelemand with a temperature not higher than 34C but under pressure at 2 bars 30psi and I really get a bitterness with shades of pink grapefruit that suits the 24h Dry Hop with cascade and citra very well. 3 days and clarify with gelatin or cold at 3C for 4-5 days. Also with the same process but a Stout with Belgian malt and in this case the aromas and flavors of cocoa and chocolate made all the women fall in love.

he's right....Women like chocolates!
Glad you can read that :D

Google translate mate! I took 2 years of german...I only can do enough Spanish to get my order right at the Mexican place by work!

En verano mi IPA lo hago con Voss de lelemand con temperatura no superior a 34C pero bajo presión a 2 bares 30psi
y realmente me sale un amargor con tonos de pomelo rosado que encaja muy bien a las 24hs Dry Hop con cascada y citra.
3 días y clarifer con gelatina o frío a 3C durante 4-5 días.
También con el mismo proceso pero una Stout con malta belga y en este caso los aromas y sabores a
el cacao y el chocolate enamoraron a todas las mujeres.

In summer my IPA I do with Voss de lelemand with temperature not higher than 34C but under pressure at 2 bars 30psi
and I really get a bitterness with shades of pink grapefruit that fits very well at 24hs Dry Hop with waterfall and citra.
3 days and clarifer with gelatin or cold at 3C for 4-5 days.
Also with the same process but a Stout with Belgian malt and in this case the aromas and flavors
cocoa and chocolate made all women fall in love.

I can vouch for Voss being able to handle temperatures up to 40 oC and Voss is not scared of some temperature fluctuations either

He notado la disminución de aromas cuando supero los 34C (menor aroma y sabor a pomelo) debe ser que es mas tumultuosa la fermentación desprendiendo mucho aroma.
Lo fermento a presión logrando capturar mas los aromas y una burbuja muy pequeña con buena cabeza en la espuma.
Lleno las botellas con contra presión (pegas) a 1C dos días después de los 5dias a 3C para un decantado que deja bien clara casi transparente a la cerveza y no tengo precipitaciones en botella .

Salud.

Back