Voss Kviek Question

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I brewed a 1041 hazy ale on Tuesday. The Voss took off real quick (fermenting at 29C) and was going cuckoo for coconuts just 16 hours later so I added the first dry hop charge. 24 hours later, not even 48 hours in all seemed calm, so I took a gravity reading. Hot damn, it was already at FG, nutty! I added the second dry hop charge. The sample tasted really yeasty, and after leaving it on the bench for roughly another 24 hours there was a nice layer of yeast at the bottom.

Question
How long should I leave this alone to clean up after itself? I'm not in any rush really, just curious. I have never used this yeast before.

Yep shes good to crash and package.
If youve dry hopped it you could just let it sit for a day or two then crash for a day or two package and enjoy.

I tend to leave mine in the fermenter 7-10 days after hitting FG. The yeast does clean up a number of other fermentation byproducts after all of the fermenter sugar is consumed.

This isn't an exact science as I've had some that were ready three days after hitting FG and others that weren't ready after a week. Sometimes, it's good to just taste a sample.

I've been using a different kveik strand so can't speak directly to the voss, but I've been kind of doing as @Bubba Wade suggested above. These kveik strains can hammer sh*t out in no time and while technically finished fermenting, I get better, cleaner results if I let it settle out for a few days. I would think this especially true if doing a hazy brew. I don't know all the technical terms and lingo, but in a nutshell you get all the hop particulate sticking to the yeasties left in suspension and get that kind of peppery burn in your throat. YMMV.

Just pulled a 500ml sample into a water bottle, put a carb cap in it and hit it with 30#. Also pulled a wee bit into a glass, surprisingly grapefruity! Will give the sample 24 hours to carb up, and see what I have. Won't bother cold crashing until then.
Thanks for the responses.
20200412_122912.jpg

I tend to leave mine in the fermenter 7-10 days after hitting FG. The yeast does clean up a number of other fermentation byproducts after all of the fermenter sugar is consumed.

This isn't an exact science as I've had some that were ready three days after hitting FG and others that weren't ready after a week. Sometimes, it's good to just taste a sample.
I typically don't check gravity until 10-14 days, then cold crash for another 3 days.
Are you saying that with Voss Kveik, you leave it for 7-10 more days after reaching FG?

I typically don't check gravity until 10-14 days, then cold crash for another 3 days.
Are you saying that with Voss Kveik, you leave it for 7-10 more days after reaching FG?
I monitor gravity continuously using the Tilt. I hold it 7-10 days after hitting FG with whatever yeast I’m using. But that’s just a rule of thumb I’ve used. If it tastes good, keg it and cold crash. As I mentioned, it’s not an exact science.

im so keen to give some kviek a run sounds like a blast (literally) and not too much waiting
It is worth trying imo. I use a kveik strain on almost everything nowadays. It's done great with just about everything I've thrown at it.

Just pulled a 500ml sample into a water bottle, put a carb cap in it and hit it with 30#. Also pulled a wee bit into a glass, surprisingly grapefruity! Will give the sample 24 hours to carb up, and see what I have. Won't bother cold crashing until then.
Thanks for the responses.View attachment 9536
Howd it turn out Craig you likey likey:rolleyes:?

I would say I love the stain but the only difference is the cooling temperature, before I chilled from 60F then ramped up to 72F, now I start at 72F and heat up to 85F so that can be a challenge for some

Back