Volume calculator kettle

AngryDuck

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this feature is requested before, but i'm asking anyway.

In another program i use, when i fill the pre boile, post boile or any volume i need, i get a popup with a calculator.
So i can measure from bottom of the kettle till top of the fluid, or from the top of the kettle till the top of the fluid with temperature correction. So i don't have to rely on the markings of the kettle, because most of the time they are not readable for me. And it calculates how much liters are in the kettle with the correction.

How does the calculator know how much water you put in?

How does the calculator know how much water you put in?
The calculator knows nothing.
You make your equipment in the equipment settings, fill in the diameter and height of your kettles so it knows the volume. You measure from the bottom or the top of the kettle and fill in the parameters and it will calculate how much wort or water is in the kettle.

This is a option i miss in Brewers Friend.

The calculator knows nothing.
You make your equipment in the equipment settings, fill in the diameter and height of your kettles so it knows the volume. You measure from the bottom or the top of the kettle and fill in the parameters and it will calculate how much wort or water is in the kettle.

This is a option i miss in Brewers Friend.
ah, got ya.

I used to do this with a tape measure on my keggle until I installed and calibrated a sight glass. Another option is to do the math for whatever volume units you want and fractions thereof if desired and make a 'story pole'. Some folks use their mash paddle handle for this. (If I'm not mistaken, that's what Charlie Papazian uses) Before I used Brewer's Friend, I had a custom spreadsheet designed so I could just input the actual depth measurement and it calculated volumes for me. That would be an interesting feature for those folks who need it.

I used to do this with a tape measure on my keggle until I installed and calibrated a sight glass. Another option is to do the math for whatever volume units you want and fractions thereof if desired and make a 'story pole'. Some folks use their mash paddle handle for this. (If I'm not mistaken, that's what Charlie Papazian uses) Before I used Brewer's Friend, I had a custom spreadsheet designed so I could just input the actual depth measurement and it calculated volumes for me. That would be an interesting feature for those folks who need it.
There are many ways to get to Rome. But with a site glass, or a peddle you have to take in consideration the temperature. And surly you could do the math by yourself, but it's easier if the software helps you. That's why we use software..;)
But i think it's not difficult to add that to the software, and it will be a great tool.. :D

At least with volumes, (from story pole or sight glass) there is already an option to enter a temp for auto-correction. But yes, if not too difficult, it would be nice to enter the measurement and have it calc the volume too.

I measure my volumes via height with a stainless ruler and account for thermal expansion, so I know I'd use it at least!

In another program i use, when i fill the pre boile, post boile or any volume i need, i get a popup with a calculator.
So i can measure from bottom of the kettle till top of the fluid, or from the top of the kettle till the top of the fluid with temperature correction. So i don't have to rely on the markings of the kettle, because most of the time they are not readable for me. And it calculates how much liters are in the kettle with the correction.

If you have access to Excel or a similar spreadsheet and a steel yardstick, you can make your own custom spreadsheet for each boil kettle you use.
The formula is:

If you have access to a spreadsheet program like Excel or similar and a bit of time, it's not too difficult to mathematically determine the volume of a cylinder and then use a meter stick or yardstick to measure the height of the liquid in your boil pot and then read the volume from a chart you've prepared.

The formula is: Volume equals 3.14159 (Pi) times the radius squared times the height of your kettle.
This will work for either metric and liters or inches and gallons.

I made a chart in Excel, printed it from the computer file, and then laminated it to protect it from spilled liquids. When I wanted to know how many gallons of wort were in my kettle, I simply stuck a steel yardstick into the pot, measured how high on the yardstick the liquid came, and read the amount in gallons from the chart.

If you aren't familiar with spreadsheet programs I would be willing to make a chart for you and then email it to you. I'm retired, have lots of spare time, and enjoy using Excel.

The information I would need from you would be: the inside diameter of your kettle, the height of your kettle, the units you prefer the chart to be in (either metric and liters or inches and gallons) and your email address.

It would also be helpful to know the minimum depth of liquid you ever think you'll have in this pot.

Last edited:
If you have access to Excel or a similar spreadsheet and a steel yardstick, you can make your own custom spreadsheet for each boil kettle you use.
The formula is:

If you have access to a spreadsheet program like Excel or similar and a bit of time, it's not too difficult to mathematically determine the volume of a cylinder and then use a meter stick or yardstick to measure the height of the liquid in your boil pot and then read the volume from a chart you've prepared.

The formula is: Volume equals 3.14159 (Pi) times the radius squared times the height of your kettle.
This will work for either metric and liters or inches and gallons.

I made a chart in Excel, printed it from the computer file, and then laminated it to protect it from spilled liquids. When I wanted to know how many gallons of wort were in my kettle, I simply stuck a steel yardstick into the pot, measured how high on the yardstick the liquid came, and read the amount in gallons from the chart.

If you aren't familiar with spreadsheet programs I would be willing to make a chart for you and then email it to you. I'm retired, have lots of spare time, and enjoy using Excel.

The information I would need from you would be: the inside diameter of your kettle, the height of your kettle, the units you prefer the chart to be in (either metric and liters or inches and gallons) and your email address.

It would also be helpful to know the minimum depth of liquid you ever think you'll have in this pot.
Thanks for the reply, was a little bit busy lately.

I have a opensource German brew package that i use, with everything build in. But i also like the Brewers friend software and switch between them. And because i found it really helpful for myself, maybe someone else will like it also..

I'm not a spreadsheet man, but your system is the same as i use. Only with the software, i like it when my life is made easy...

Back