Vienna Lager (sort of)

Whenever I have questions about making styles, I do a Google search, and those two sites usually pop up. I modified a Belgian Dubbel recipe from one of those two that I was quite happy with because, drum roll please, it was simple for the style, and damn tasty. I like giving you a hard time just in fun, but I am in the Palmer camp with the recipes: If you are going to add something, there needs to he a reason for it.

That looks tasty. You didn't get that kind of attenuation with the Munich Dark did you?
I did a version of a Festbier last year where I used a bunch of the lighter Munich, and it did not attenuate well. I initially thought it was the Vienna, but I used 30% Munich in it, and I think that was the issue. It did taste quite nice though, and I drank a shitload of it on Thanksgiving.
Thanks for the compliment.
The recipe projected FG of 1.008, I achieved 1.011 for apparent attenuation of ~79%. It is a good beer, and I will enjoy a bottle (or 2) this evening.

Wow!! I probably would not get that usng that much of the dark malts in the bag. I can get 1.014 out of a Porter, but using S 05. Going to try a lower mash temp with my Vienna next week. I will see whar happens at 148.

1714790169870.jpeg

Here is mine, just for an idea what SRM 13.5 looks like.

I ended up going with 10.4 SRM. Its down to 3.1 this morning which is awesome! ill snap a picture this afternoon. My Smoked apricot helles(8SRM) ended up a lot darker then i really wanted it. im probably gonna call it Smoked apricot lager instead of helles.

According to the software, I am at 12 SRM. Will see what happens this weekend. I bought 2 1/2 oz of hops, but the Saaz are only running 2.2 Alpha right now. I was hoping for just a little bit more. Talk about simple - 11 lbs Vienna 1/4 lb Chocolate:) That is the entire grain bill. I bought a shitload of lager yeast so it starts fast, and using the revised fermentation schedule from Josh: 55 3 days until low krausen. 62 or so for the rest.

According to the software, I am at 12 SRM. Will see what happens this weekend. I bought 2 1/2 oz of hops, but the Saaz are only running 2.2 Alpha right now. I was hoping for just a little bit more. Talk about simple - 11 lbs Vienna 1/4 lb Chocolate:) That is the entire grain bill. I bought a shitload of lager yeast so it starts fast, and using the revised fermentation schedule from Josh: 55 3 days until low krausen. 62 or so for the rest.
I actually have batches at 5.4, 8, 10.5, 12 on hand right now. im brewing the 5.4 today but the other 2 are currently cold crashing and ill carbonate them tomorrow. Ill try to remember to take pictures of them and post it.

The Vienna i made is really really good. I think that it is done at 76% attenuation which is kind of low, but acceptable.

Im brewing a golden lager today that is:
2r- 90%
Flaked Oats- 9%
Chocolate-.6%
5.4srm
Testing out a new yeast. i think it will be good!

I bet that would be good as a Pale Ale if you did some hops.

Last edited:
That is pretty quick. How long are you going to lager?

That is pretty quick. How long are you going to lager?
Lager? Naw it's already on draft! I don't lager. I don't really have time. The lager that I brewed on Tuesday will actually have a chance to lager since I won't have an open draft line any time soon.

Lager? Naw it's already on draft! I don't lager. I don't really have time. The lager that I brewed on Tuesday will actually have a chance to lager since I won't have an open draft line any time soon.
o.k. Thus, the "Sort of"

Back