Vienna fresh hop SMaSH

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Every year I try a new recipe with my home grown Centennial hops. This year I decided to try a SMaSH using only Vienna malt; I'd only used it as a contribution to other recipes previously.
Wow! What a great beer from just two ingredients. Very drinkable and aromatic, with nice bitterness that doesn't linger on the tongue.

Here's the 5 gallon recipe, 60 minute boil:
12 lbs. Best Malz Vienna
.5 oz. Centennial pellets for 60 minutes
1.5 oz. Centennial pellets for 15 minutes
1 lb. fresh-picked Centennial whole hops for 5 minutes

Next up is a Vienna/Hallertau SMaSH, to get a better feel for the Vienna character. My thought is that Vienna my be my go-to base malt in the future.

Every year I try a new recipe with my home grown Centennial hops. This year I decided to try a SMaSH using only Vienna malt; I'd only used it as a contribution to other recipes previously.
Wow! What a great beer from just two ingredients. Very drinkable and aromatic, with nice bitterness that doesn't linger on the tongue.

12 lbs. Best Malz Vienna

Next up is a Vienna/Hallertau SMaSH, to get a better feel for the Vienna character. My thought is that Vienna my be my go-to base malt in the future.
I do Vienna/Hallertau smash and love it.

Vienna/Hallertau SMaSH report:
Kegged 3 days ago, but had no patience and tried a sample after one day- too "hot"; flavors hadn't melded yet, and I was getting a vegetal taste from the hops.
At day 3, much better; very malty with a grainy background. I'm definitely liking the Vienna as a base malt; it seems to have more body and maltiness than a pale ale malt. The hops have settled down too, but I do believe I went too heavy on the Hallertaus; I was essentially trying to create a hoppy beer using aroma hops; DOH!

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 3.06.29 PM.png

Next time I'll back off the hops a bit, but this has potential to be a great easy drinking brew.

I'm brewing another SMaSH today, a Vienna/Cascade using Voss Kveik yeast I got from Norway on eBay. Looking forward to a furious fermentation.

Kegged 3 days ago, but had no patience and tried a sample after one day- too "hot"; flavors hadn't melded yet, and I was getting a vegetal taste from the hops.
At day 3, much better; very malty with a grainy background. I'm definitely liking the Vienna as a base malt; it seems to have more body and maltiness than a pale ale malt. The hops have settled down too, but I do believe I went too heavy on the Hallertaus; I was essentially trying to create a hoppy beer using aroma hops; DOH!

View attachment 26695

Next time I'll back off the hops a bit, but this has potential to be a great easy drinking brew.

I'm brewing another SMaSH today, a Vienna/Cascade using Voss Kveik yeast I got from Norway on eBay. Looking forward to a furious fermentation.
Nice.

Did you really use the leaf form of hops? Or was it pellets.

Yep, all leaf hops. I'm starting to use leaf hops more except for dry hopping; then I always use pellets. It could be my imagination, but leaf hops seem to me to give a 'softer' bitterness, and maybe a better head.

View attachment 26695

not a fan of kviek. you want a clean ale with one grain and one hop and then ruin it with all the goofy off flavors that kviek gives off. its worth the time to use a good ale yeast.

Have you used Kveik? I have, more than once. You might want to read up on what others say.

Yeah...love me some Kveik. Try Imperial A44 in a pale smash. I made a Vienna Cluster with it...outstanding. Very simple, an ounce of cluster at boil and 45 minutes.

Same there's nothing wrong with Kviek in the right kinda beer actually some Kviek yeasts would bring more complexity to a SMaSH beer .

But I understand @Minbari 's thought on the whole reason for a "SMaSH" Beer to find what the malt and hops taste like on their own (the sum of the two parts) without some characteristic yeast muddying the clarity of what each part brings:confused::).

I think of Voss I think of extra bitterness or a biting bitterness and exemplified Citrussy flavours like a pithy citrus thing so coupled with Cascade well there's a romantic dance right there;).

The Vienna/Cascade/Kveik SMaSH turned out like I'd hoped; bright hops and that malty, grainy Vienna taste. So after 2 Vienna SMaSHes, I have a feel for Vienna's contribution.
Time for some Munich :p

12 lbs. Best Malz Vienna

Embarking on a 5 days from marrakech to fes is an extraordinary exploration of Morocco's rich and diverse landscapes and culture. Starting in Marrakech, you'll immerse yourself in the city's vibrant medina, brimming with colorful markets and historical treasures. As you leave the city behind, the Atlas Mountains greet you with their picturesque valleys and traditional Berber villages. The journey then leads you through ancient kasbahs, serene oases, and the captivating Sahara Desert. Riding camels across the rolling dunes, witnessing awe-inspiring sunsets, and spending nights in nomadic camps are just some of the enchanting experiences along the way. Your adventure culminates in Fes, a city steeped in history, where the labyrinthine medina offers a glimpse into Morocco's heritage and traditions. This 5-day odyssey is a kaleidoscope of Moroccan culture, providing you with lasting memories of the country's remarkable beauty and history.
I want to brew an all grain Vienna Smash on Sunday

I had thought about using Cascade or Northern Brewer as the hops but I have been wanting to try the Saaz I have

I was thinking something like this

Original Gravity: 1.047

Final Gravity: 1.011

IBU (tinseth): 22.13

SRM (morey): 5.84

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 11.5 gallons

Boil Size: 12.5 gallons

Boil Gravity: 1.044

21 pounds German Vienna

2oz Saaz pellets 60 mins

2oz Saaz pellets 20 mins

2oz Saaz pellets 5 mins

Irish moss at 15 mins

mashing for 60 mins at 150 with 1.25 quarts a pound

just not sure about what to mash at or the hops

I am going to use a couple packages of Nottingham and keep it at 64-66 degrees

any help, advice or input would very much welcomed

I want to brew an all grain Vienna Smash on Sunday

I had thought about using Cascade or Northern Brewer as the hops but I have been wanting to try the Saaz I have

I was thinking something like this

Original Gravity: 1.047

Final Gravity: 1.011

IBU (tinseth): 22.13

SRM (morey): 5.84

Boil Time: 60 min

Batch Size: 11.5 gallons

Boil Size: 12.5 gallons

Boil Gravity: 1.044

21 pounds German Vienna

2oz Saaz pellets 60 mins

2oz Saaz pellets 20 mins

2oz Saaz pellets 5 mins

Irish moss at 15 mins

mashing for 60 mins at 150 with 1.25 quarts a pound

just not sure about what to mash at or the hops

I am going to use a couple packages of Nottingham and keep it at 64-66 degrees

any help, advice or input would very much welcomed
I'd mash Mid to low on the Saccrification range (it depends on how much your mash drops on your infusion).

Personal though I step mash everything so a two step mash low then high erring longer on the Beta range.

Hops I'd go traditional maybe mittlefrauh

I'd use 34/70 over Nottingham if you want some lager characteristics maybe a touch of sulphur.

My 2c

I second the 34/70 and a German hop and just mash a bit higher

I'm in my kveik Voss season, and I got a fair bit of Vienna, so this may be a good route to go.
Although I don't necessarily want it to be a smash
@Beerbelly : which combo did you prefer? Vienna/Cascade or Vienna/hallertau?
And if it doesnt have to be a smash, would you use both cascade and hallertau?
Or how would you improve on this smash, either grain or hop-wise? Or maybe it just doesn't need improving?

Back