Very confused on brew house efficiency

dulrich3d

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have done about 30 brews with this software but I have never seen anything like this. I know I missed my OG by a ton, but I'm wondering if I had something messed up with my recipe to begin with?

Here's the recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/849287/elefante-iipa

And here's a shot of my brew session. 18% seems super low. Any idea what I did wrong?
upload_2019-7-5_18-11-5.png

Something is up with your log entries- you can't have had 144.3% conversion efficiency and 217% preboil- so my guess it's your volumes in your log. Double check all of those, and ensure everything is correct.

Something is up with your log entries- you can't have had 144.3% conversion efficiency and 217% preboil- so my guess it's your volumes in your log. Double check all of those, and ensure everything is correct.

What would I be checking? Looks about the same as it always does for me. See below:
upload_2019-7-6_15-10-16.png

Also I noticed when I was doing my mash it said I only had 6.75 pounds of grain? Is there something wrong with the way I have the recipe set?

upload_2019-7-6_15-16-41.png

I think I figured it out. For some reason my 2-row wasn't switched to "no" for mashed. Not sure how that happened, but it reduced my planned OG by 20 points and I actually hit it right on the money.

upload_2019-7-6_15-28-15.png

Do you know why that would change the OG of the recipe so much? Thanks for your help!

Your two row should be mashed- that should be "yes". I'm going to dig into this a bit and get back to you.

Your volume in the water/mash area of the brewlog shows 0 for the kettle volume. Also, since you put 5.75 in the fermenter, you may want to make sure your recipe is set for batch size into the fermenter.

The numbers don't make any sense to me. You got 3.25 gallons of 1.088 wort from the mash, then modified it to 8 gallons at 1.063? That's 286 points of gravity from the mash, 504 points pre-boil. The only way that works is if you added both sugar and water to the wort after mashing. Then you boiled off 2 gallons in a 60 minute boil. Based on these numbers, the efficiency numbers look right. I'm just curious at the process you used to generate the numbers. You'd have to have added 4.75 pounds of sugar (equivalent) and 4.75 gallons of water to the wort between the mash tun and the boil.

Back