Ventilation

Jona4186

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Well after moving home to a bigger house i now have an AMAZING new brew house (formerly a garage).
The trouble is it steams up just as bad as my old shed even with the door open theres wort condensation all over the place. Not good!

I need help guys! Im not really in a financial position to pay an electrician to come fit a cooker style hood extractor, even though that seems the best way. So i need some cheaper alternatives that will actually work and not drip back in.

Ideally i need somthing that can move the steam through 12 feet of extraction hose because id really rather not start drilling holes and fitting an outlet to the wall.

Any help/ pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Can you put in a standing fan, blowing the humid air towards the door or a window?

No not really dude. All my plugs and plumbing are at the back of the garage and ive just fitted a load of run off pipe to get rid of water from the chiller so i really dont wanna move it all around again.
I want somthing more permanent but dont want to pay a fortune.

Ive been looking at the fans that dope growers use for hydroponics tents but i dont know if theyre any good?

I brew in my shed and installed a extraction unit from kitchen.
I don't know if it is the correct word, but here is a pic of the brewing place:

In my case I could cut out a hole in the wooden wall, but perhaps you can attach some long hose to it?

Brewer #40102 said:
In my case I could cut out a hole in the wooden wall, but perhaps you can attach some long hose to it?

Keep in mind that if you install a long vent pipe, moisture will condense on the inside, and if it slopes inwards, the moisture will drip back into the pot. If it slopes outward, it will, drip outside, and if there is no slope it will pool. Not saying it cant be done, just think about it first.

Don't know if you have anything like this in your area but we shop for some of our cheap home improvement projects at a local "Home Resource" store. They take donations from remodels and left over stuff from contractors, sell it and use the money for habitat for humanity projects. It's a win win situation. Sometimes they have exhaust hoods and fans super cheap for a do it yourselfer. Ours has new pieces of counter top for a buck a square foot and also old full counter tops which can be cut down to fit as needed.

CFM in equals CFM out.

to do this correctly you really should have one hole in the wall and one hole in the roof . One pushing air in and the other pulling it out. Since steam tends to rise a capture hood over your boil would be best and a stream of air toward it to increase efficiency.

You not only have condensation from the steam but from your fuel burn as well.

There are numerous in line fans available that would run maybe 50 bucks a piece. sheet metal for the capture hood ducting framing material another flashing 200. Doing a roof and wall penetration is not a big deal. offer a freind some beer to do it if you cannot. For somewhere around 300 bucks you should be able to have a good basic system.

this would also work to flush heat out in the summer when brewing

I am a GC and have trained as an energy auditor and taken about 40 class hours on ventilation

Back