Valentine's Day

Tech

Trial Member
Reaction score
Valentine's day is coming. Is it a good day to brew something? :D

assuming that your significant other allows it, i don't see why not. bit hard to be romantic over a pot of boiling wort though

i'd think a chocolate cherry stout would be a fine choice to brew

I would brew it the day before, or the day after, but not the day of. But that's only valid for my "system." You'll have to calibrate your own.... ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYndBvhz8hU

We'll be bottling two blondes on valentine's day. And then we'll rerack an IPA from this past sunday. And then we'll be brewing. Plan is to really get a good read on the Eroica hops with a SMASH recipe. (.33oz at 60, 20, 0, and dry hopped with another .50oz) Still need to decide on a base malt, it's going to end up being 2-row probably..

derailing this a little bit, but oliver, i'd suggest some maris otter or other uk malt. 2row and 6row is kinda boring on its own i think

was just looking into it, might go with Golden Promise.

ALSO, possibly for valentine's day, or during that weekend. I had my eye on this red head girl who never doesn't have a resting bitch face. Made me want to brew a Red IPA, or a hoppy amber, but i haven't done enough research as to what creates a good red color. Mosaic and Eroica additions.

This is what i did recently: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -wheat-ipa

toasted the wheat myself. first time using the Red X, but that's supposed to impart a lot of the color. also threw in a little roasted barley for good measure, but capped that instead of mashing it. by no means am i suggesting this is a great recipe, but it turned out ok for the first time and is fairly red (if a little bit cloudy)

I once tapped an English Blonde on Valentines day, but that's another story.

jmcnamara said:
This is what i did recently: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -wheat-ipa

toasted the wheat myself. first time using the Red X, but that's supposed to impart a lot of the color. also threw in a little roasted barley for good measure, but capped that instead of mashing it. by no means am i suggesting this is a great recipe, but it turned out ok for the first time and is fairly red (if a little bit cloudy)

never responded to this, but sounds good. How did you like that amount of flaked wheat?? Or, how was the wheat flavor in general in combination with a lot of hops and REDX?? I might use this, and sub in Malted Wheat, and some Caramel.

real creamy mouthfeel, real good head retention and bubbles. definitely too easy to drink :D
The hops were maybe a bit subdued for a traditional IPA, but it wasn't overly malty or anything.
i might up the hops a little bit next time, regardless of the grain bill, maybe even use a little more variety too.

Good idea on the chocolate cherry stout, I think I'll file that one away for later... just wish I had thought of it sooner. Also puts me in mind of Christmas too...dark/winter (chocolate/stout), Christmas (red/cherry)..I can do that.

As for Valentine's Day: I wouldn't be romantically involved with someone who didn't allow it, so...yeah, that's my system. :-D

I was going to start a red plum wine (plums kinda remind me of real hearts) and red for Valentine's Day, but it didn't go off without a hitch (nothing usually does). I was at the critical stage for getting my meads racked and did that the last chance I had and ran out of fermentation locks (have 10 in stuff right now) and needed two more for the wine. So, either Sunday or Monday, I'm going to acquire 2 locks from a friend and get this plum wine started. Too bad it won't be ready by Valentine's Day, but maybe in time for next year. :)

And since we don't really do anything for Valentine's Day, my wife wants to help me with the wine if I can't find a friend who wants to come over and help with it. My wife helps me if no one else can, and it's truly a blessing to have her on board with all of the elderberry, blackberry, blueberry, and whatever else-berry meads and wines I can make.

Back