using up left over mr beer extract

crownchip

Trial Member
Reaction score
Thinking about using up mr beer leftover extract since I went all grain. Thinking it will boost the gravity like corn sugar. I have six of them; 2 light american, 2 belgian, 2 porters.

I figure I can add them to boil at maybe 10 min and boost the og. Just add extra yeast and hops.

The porters will affect color but that won't matter to me.

Anything really wrong with this?
I've done a whole 2 batches of all grain and knock on wood they all turned out great coming out of the kegs.

Any cool ideas? Or is it better to sell it?

use it but I would go at least 15 so it can get good and mixed up or kill any germs

crownchip said:
Any cool ideas? Or is it better to sell it?

By all means use it. Its potential beer.

Keep in mind that increasing your gravity of an existing recipe will require an increase in IBUs to maintain balance, unless you are removing base malt and replacing it with extract. Then your alright. Its the old "Gravity Points to Bittering Units Ratio". Nosybear could explain it better than I could, as it involves math, and I am more of the Zen Brewer.
I would also use the extract in a beer where it will complement the desired style. For instance use the porter extract in a porter, brown or stout. You don't want to make a beer where the final product is a muddy mess of conflicting flavors.
I read once where a guy used a ham glaze packet in an American Brown. Something leftover from a Christmas ham. Apparently it worked out for him.

Back