Using these instead of EKGs

Steve Ruch

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewing a bitter this morning.
IMG_20230910_083357.jpg

I suspect they are the same but different. Kinda like west kent Goldings...

I suspect they are the same but different. Kinda like west kent Goldings...

VERY West Kent Goldings! :D

@Steve Ruch, please let us know how they compare to EKGs. I always use EKGs in my British beers but always wondered what US Goldings would taste like.

I am guessing it is similar.

I saw a comparison of Willamette vs fuggles and people couldn't tell the difference

I am guessing it is similar.

I saw a comparison of Willamette vs fuggles and people couldn't tell the difference
Wow. I find that hard to believe. Fuggles always smells like dirt to me.

The American ones are quite similar. Maybe a touch less floral or at least if I’m remembering correctly. Higher AA so that could be part of it. I feel like lower AA, using more to hit IBU makes for more floral in some of those noble type hops. I could be completely full of it. I liked the beer where I used those I do know that I wasn’t wishing I used ekgs.

Wow. I find that hard to believe. Fuggles always smells like dirt to me.
Willamette, columbia are fuggles grown in the USA. Genetically they are similar.

VERY West Kent Goldings! :D

@Steve Ruch, please let us know how they compare to EKGs. I always use EKGs in my British beers but always wondered what US Goldings would taste like.
To me they are very similar. When I grew them in Washington I used them in all my British ales.

Love it Great Substitute on a whim I bet those dedicated to Brittish style bitters and such would have to tell the difference but personally if their at a good price I'd use them over any UK origin hops ;).

Let us know your thoughts once their brewed and carbed and ready to smell n taste:) .

Back