Using multiple yeasts in one batch

Altbier bitte

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brewed a beer sort of on the spur of the moment recently. It's hopped so insanely I'm almost embarrassed to make it shareable and post the link, but here it is: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... golden-ale
If I screwed that up, can someone let me know? Simply put, it's a 10 gallon batch with 22 #s MO and 2 #s of amber malt,OG 1.060, hopped to high heaven with Glacier and Apollo.
Because I hadn't prepared, I didn't have time for a proper starter or to order yeast special, so I used what was on hand. I had one pack of Notty, not enough without a starter, but I also had a tube of Whitelabs Dry English Ale yeast(liquid). I got the WL out of the fridge, took it to a warm spot and went about my brewing. I pulled a liter and a half of early runnings, cooled it, pitched both yeasts and put it on the stir plate. A couple of hours later when the wort was chilled to below 80 F (it was hot - that was about as low as I could get it) I pitched it into two over sized carboys. It took off like gangbusters before morning, about like I would expect from Nottingham. I'd never used the DEA, but I've found out since that it's supposed to be a fast starter and highly flocculant. Long and short, when I took a sample at 9 days it was at the predicted gravity, but it was completely opaque. As of today (the 14th day) it hasn't cleared much. I'm clearing the space to cold crash it tomorrow and I'll hit it with Bio-Fine. It's not very old, but Notty alone usually clears pretty fast and the Whitelabs is supposed to be even more flocculant. I guess I'll know more after a few days cold crash. Has anybody else ever used multiple yeast strains like that? How did it turn out? Oh, the gravity sample tasted great, flat, cloudy and all.

Altbier bitte said:
but Notty alone usually clears pretty fast and the Whitelabs is supposed to be even more flocculant.
... Has anybody else ever used multiple yeast strains like that? How did it turn out?
I haven't used multiple yeasts, so I can't say any thing about that. I can verify that WLP007 alone is very flocculant though. :)

Yeah, I'm going to try the Dry English Ale properly soon. I found out recently that Danstar (or Lallemand, whatever it is) Windsor (an English strain) is even faster than Notty.

I would have split the wort into separate 5 gallon carboys, and then pitched each carboy with a different yeast. That way you can compare and contrast the strains against the same wort. I've been amazed with how different beers have turned out just because of yeast.

White Labs makes a cream ale yeast blend, and there are other blended yeasts from White Labs and Wyeast, so maybe it isn't that big of a deal.

Let us know how it turns out!

That is an absolutely INSANE amount of hops.

There's a very good chance that beer will be undrinkable. Not trying to be nasty at all, just making you aware.

At 152 IBU you could just cut out the middle man and eat the raw hops...

Johnny N - don't sweat it, I'm a little amazed by those IBUs myself. Thing is, I know it's going to be good. I took a G-sample from each carboy so I had a pint glass full of wort (the numbers were on target; fg=1.014). Flat and at room temp, it was damn good - it was definitely hoppy and well bittered, but the maltiness busted through with toasty and even toffee notes. I put it in the cold crash freezer about an hour ago - you wouldn't believe the awesome smelll wafting off of that raft of dry-hop Glacier. I can't freaking wait to get it carbed and crack one.

Part 2
I think this is one of those areas where IBUs break down and really don't tell the story. A lot of those jumped up when I entered the late hops, from 15 minutes in - I don't believe they contribute as much bitterness as the program says. Another consideration is the grain bill. The OG is medium high, but the maltiness is off the charts - all that amber needs a lot of bitterness and flavor to go with. Don't worry; I won't serve it to anyone who can't handle it.

Back