Using Krausening to prime

Eventually...I am still ogling a kettle and a fermenter. If I sell my knuckle boom crane I'll just order it up. :) I don't work since my stroke.

You could try spunding if you have a keg, it's easy.
On that note, when do you spund? If I build a spunding valve, should I just ferment in the keg and attach the valve to the gas post?

On that note, when do you spund? If I build a spunding valve, should I just ferment in the keg and attach the valve to the gas post?

I do a closed transfer to spunding keg 5 points prior to terminal gravity. Then it finishes fermentation in the keg, set your spunding valve to serving pressure, once it is finished, approximately 3 days, cold crash it, then hook up gas and serve.

Thanks for that calculator location. In addition to the calculator , there is a link to a great article on the process. I appreciate it.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kraeusening
I have been using a saved portion of wort for priming my bottles quite successfully for a couple of years now, but without the "krausening" part. I just freeze the wort until it is time to bottle, thaw, dump it in the bottling bucket, stir and bottle.
What I don't quite understand is...what is the benefit of adding fresh yeast? Wort is just sugar water after all, and there is more than enough yeast in suspension...

I have been using a saved portion of wort for priming my bottles quite successfully for a couple of years now, but without the "krausening" part. I just freeze the wort until it is time to bottle, thaw, dump it in the bottling bucket, stir and bottle.
What I don't quite understand is...what is the benefit of adding fresh yeast? Wort is just sugar water after all, and there is more than enough yeast in suspension...
quicker priming rates like making a starter for your batch of beer fermentation takes off sooner less lag time for spoilage?:rolleyes:

From what I am reading Krauening to prime at bottling does provide some clean up of undesirables post ferment. It apparently is the purist tribute to the Reinheitsgebot insuring that the only ingredients in beer are Malt, water, hops and yeast.

From what I am reading Krauening to prime at bottling does provide some clean up of undesirables post ferment. It apparently is the purist tribute to the Reinheitsgebot insuring that the only ingredients in beer are Malt, water, hops and yeast.

All of my beer is reinheitsgebot compliant, it took some system alterations and some process adjustments but after a few times I find it just as easy and has now become my brewing process.

Not that reinheitsgebot compliant is important, I just did it to see if I could do it and it's now adapted into my usual process.

I have no issue with beer that has other ingredients. I buy them all the time. I lean towards trying to remain compliant in my brewing practices as a measure of learning the hard way how to make good beer. Not that brewing any other way is better or worse, but if I have to follow a guideline of a strict standard then opening Pandora's box of brewing possibilities should help me to produce better beer. I pay money to drink crap that has all kinds of things in it that would not even come close to compliant. Blue Moon, Goose Island OMG, Deschutes, Alaskan, Wells banana bread, and so many that to name them would require I start a new thread. We have sampling sessions around here every week.

I have no issue with beer that has other ingredients. I buy them all the time. I lean towards trying to remain compliant in my brewing practices as a measure of learning the hard way how to make good beer. Not that brewing any other way is better or worse, but if I have to follow a guideline of a strict standard then opening Pandora's box of brewing possibilities should help me to produce better beer. I pay money to drink crap that has all kinds of things in it that would not even come close to compliant. Blue Moon, Goose Island OMG, Deschutes, Alaskan, Wells banana bread, and so many that to name them would require I start a new thread. We have sampling sessions around here every week.
I like the Reinheitsgebot as a guideline, basically a reminder to KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) when brewing. Or formulating. Case in point, I have discovered that water treatment is a very touchy issue, easy to overdo. I'll continue to use salts in my brews but keep them to a minimum - alka-selzer beer isn't very tasty.

Back