Uses for a large amount of Crystal 40

cearum

Trial Member
Reaction score
I might be coming into a 50 lb bag of crystal 40 from a friend. It's already crushes so I'd have to use it fairly quickly. I was thinking of doing a smash with the c40 and some hops (to be determined). After a bit of research it might not convert over all the way. So, with that I was thinking of adding some Amylase before fermentation to help convert the rest of the starch.

Does anyone have an experience with this? I mostly want to do it for the science and learning. I'm not expecting anything amazing (though who knows!?!?).

add 22 pounds of 40 and a good hop selection and you'll get a a good roasted malty beer lol and will convert just fine with a normal mash or step mash meaning low then higher then higher temps

personally I would buy a bunch of 1 pound bags, double bag each and save it, should last at least a year in a cool dry place

Should make some really good Pale Ales and IPAs but the use is from a pound to a pound and a half for a five-gallon batch. You can't use it as a base malt.... It's crushed. Got any brewing friends nearby? Donate it to a local microbrewer in exchange for brewing a pro-am batch? Unless you're making a lot of beer, you aren't going through that much crystal that fast.

You could make a smash beverage with all crystal 40, but I dont think you would have a beer. The sugars in a crystal malt are mostly unfermentable. I think you would end up with a sweet hoppy tea.
A better solution would be to send a pound to each one of us on Brewers friend until you ran out. Start with me, then Nosybear, then Larry, then.... well you decide.

Back