Use of hop flowers in brewing

Reaction score
I was gifted 4 bags of dried hop flowers and was wondering what if any use they have in brewing. The bag says they are Humulus lupulus. They do have an interesting aroma.

try and it see. I would start with dry hop uses and see what it does

Yeppers....he gave you hops

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humulus_lupulus

Do smash beer with them. How much do you have? "Bags" is about descriptive as humulus lupulus! If they are 1 ouncers, for a 5 gallon batch, I'd do 1 oz at boil and 1 at 55 minutes ..if they are old or you really like the aroma, do 2 at 55 or flame out. Let us know how it goes!

I was gifted 4 bags of dried hop flowers and was wondering what if any use they have in brewing. The bag says they are Humulus lupulus. They do have an interesting aroma.
Hops are generally needed for brewing beer. Fresh or dried flowers are often used, but many have only access to crushed/dried pellets of hops. There are very many different varieties of hops, each is somewhat unique in its flavor and odor profile. Humulus Lupulus doesn't tell us what variety it is, just that it is hops.

Adding hops early in the boil brings out bitterness. Adding hops late in the boil, after the boil or even later in the fermenter brings out the aromas and flavors of the hops.

Recuerda mientras decides como usarlas de mantenerlas en fresco y seco.
probaría 1 onza a los 55 como dijeron y la otra en el Whirlpool
Probaría con un EBC entre 12 y 16 con maltas caramelo 30l o 60l o ambas
Solo por decir

Saludos

It seems as we have some confussion. The 4 bags are 250 gr each. They are labeled as humulus lupulus dried flowers. The seller could tell me no more than what is on the bag. Keeping them dry is a no brainer. They are not vac packed only in plastic lined paper. These are not hop cones they are dried flowers and don't smell like any hops i have ever used . More like potpourri than anything. Photos are of bag label and a small portion vac packed. Still don't know if i want to waste valuable malt on an experiment.

Attachments

• 20220414_101302.jpg
    20220414_101302.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220414_101257.jpg
    20220414_101257.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 54
1kg de Lúpulo ?
puede hacer esta prueba si desea usarlos en cerveza dado que es una importante cantidad.

Tome un litro de agua caliéntela a 80C
en ese momento introduzca 1grs del lúpulo
déjelo el tiempo que demoraría en enfriar su mosto.
haga un baño invertido (coloque el recipiente en agua con hielo)
coloque el liquido frio en una botella y dejelo bien tapado en heladera por 12 o 24 hs.
Destape y sírvalo como una cerveza huélalo y saboréelo.
Tendrá una idea si le gusta el aroma y el amargor que dejara en su cerveza.
Ya sabe que 1gr por litro es el efecto que tendrá para saber cuanto debe echar en su cocción.

Otra posibilidad es compre una cerveza de supermercado común y le agrega el lúpulo en proporción 1grs por litro

nuevamente la tapa y la deja entre 18 y 24 C por 3 a 5 días máximos .
Enfríe y sírvala.

Saludos

There seems to be a confusion of vernacular here, could you please post a photo of the actual "flowers" outside of the package? Male hops do produce a gamete-dispersing structure that looks flower-like, but nearly 100% of the time when someone says hop flowers they mean hop cones

And grapefruit, and pine, and blueberry, and apricot, and grass... Hops have a lot of variety.

Según el código son flores a granel y posiblemente un mix.
H3300G

otros códigos son de semillas
Esta firma también tiene lúpulos por variedad por eso pienso en un mix indeterminado

Un abrazo

Yeah...and to put them in a pillow! You and Viejos are on the same page

Richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?searchterm=H3300g&search_catalogue_button=Go
I'll take your word for it, I can't get Google translate to work on my phone

Yup hop flowers and cones are one and the same :).

If you use a pump to recirculate your wort be warned whole hop cones are pump cloggers

If you had a hop back that's where I'd use them for aroma.

But when I've used my whole cascade cones brewing a beer I put the hops in a blender and blitz them up they flowed through the pump then:).

I'll take your word for it, I can't get Google translate to work on my phone
I

Viejos says ".According to the code they are bulk flowers and possibly a mix. H3300G other codes are for seeds This firm also has hops by variety, that's why I think of an indeterminate mix

A hug"

richter's web site could did with some tweaking when it comes to detail, but they do have a section for hop plants for brewing which Vj cites

richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?searchterm=Hops&search_catalogue_button=Go

I take back my advice....I wouldn't brew with these....

Be adventurous, try a one gallon batch. Just pretend they are a hops you normally use.

Back