Use of extended hop boil

boe2k2

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder how to use the extended hop boil section
upload_2018-12-5_17-47-26.png

In my last brew I have completed the boil time, than switched off the heating and started cooling using a counter flow chiller. Let's say that the wort has been cooled from about 99° to o 78° in 7 minutes, while the hop was still inside it.
How should I evaluate the extra bitterness given to the wort during this firs cooling phase?

When reached 78° I've added some more hop just for aroma, and left it inside for about 20 minutes (keeping at 78°), expecting that in this way I shouldn't have added more bitterness (I read that the temp threshold to not get more bitterness is abou 78-79°).

Thank you for any hint!
Ciao, Andrea

I use this feature when using no chill method I usually put 30 min extended chill time above 80c. It's a guesstimate really but bitterness seems inline for extra isomerisation.

If you are chilling, then you don't need to use the no-chill option. That's for folks who don't chill their wort after brewing, but instead let the work sit in a fermenter (not glass of course), and then pitch the yeast a day later, or when it naturally cools. That means the wort stays at boiling or near boiling for an extended period.

If you're doing whirlpool hops and still chilling, use the 'whirlpool/hopstand' choice for estimating the IBUs.

Back