Unsealed fermentation experience?

That's cool to watch.

Hello to the forum. Sierra Nevada does indeed use open fermenters. I can smell it when I drive by :)

One of the very few things I'd go to California for is the aroma of the kettles at Sierra Nevada. Another is the excellent food in their tap room. They are truly top notch in everything they do.

Bigfoot ale is the best beer I have tried to date was a 2008 bottle ... just WOW .
Harvey's of Lewis use open fermentation it's only stopped in this day and age because set up costs are greater it's the CO2 concerns with health and safety .

Cheers Matt ... NIGHTSKY Brewery ... future Ales Instagram.

Following up, the dampfbier made in an open fermentor (a bucket with the lid on loosely) came out wonderful! It's clovey, limited esters, kind of like an Erdinger without the wheat. I'll do this experiment again with another beer, maybe the next five-gallon batch I brew. I like the notion of having access to the beer without using the spigot or a thief through a carboy's bung. I was afraid of contamination - someone had knocked the bucket lid partially off and I didn't discover it for at least a day, still no problem. So my first experience with "open" fermentation - not bad, particularly if it's a yeast I want to harvest.

Following up, the dampfbier made in an open fermentor (a bucket with the lid on loosely) came out wonderful! It's clovey, limited esters, kind of like an Erdinger without the wheat. I'll do this experiment again with another beer, maybe the next five-gallon batch I brew. I like the notion of having access to the beer without using the spigot or a thief through a carboy's bung. I was afraid of contamination - someone had knocked the bucket lid partially off and I didn't discover it for at least a day, still no problem. So my first experience with "open" fermentation - not bad, particularly if it's a yeast I want to harvest.
Not something I'd try but hey, it's your beer! :D

Back