University research into home brewing project.

Duncan Gordon

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there folks,

My name is Duncan and I am a student at the University of Dundee, Scotland, and a (I like to think so) budding brewer. For my final year honours project I am looking into home brew kits and brewing. Specifically the relationship one has with the kit and the social side of home brewing.

It would be really helpful and incredibly insightful if you could fill out this anonymous survey that takes 3 minutes to fill out! I swear it's not spam but just genuine personal research as with home brewing being a somewhat obscure past time it is difficult to get access to a diverse group of brewers.

You can find the survey here:
https://duncanstuartgordon.typeform.com/to/kgzMGu (hope you don't mind admin, please get in touch if you do)

If you have any questions for me before you fill it out or simply want to know a bit more about the project feel free to send me a message or post in the thread!

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Duncan Gordon

Duncan, I design surveys frequently in my day job and have some feedback for you on yours:

1. Never ask two questions at once. If a response can mean two things such as I brew alone and I'm a club member - a Yes can be either or both - it's not a response you can use in your research.

2. I'm reluctant to answer some of your questions - they border on asking for personally identifiable information.

3. Your sample will be difficult to defend as well - only those who choose to answer your survey will be in the sample. This can be controlled for but it does bias the responses.

All that said, take a look and maybe redesign some of the questions. And good luck with it.

Note to other admins: I'm allowing, I'd only ask Duncan to share the results of his research here. Your thoughts?

Hey Nosybear,

Thanks for the feedback, always helpful! I'll have a re-visit a change some points.

And absolutely I can share the results on here. After all it's interesting for everyone I think to gain a bit of perspective on a larger scale. I have also shared the survey in brewing forums from other countries as to get a broader image of trends so I will post the comparisons.

Duncan.

Duncan,
I filled out the survey.
I was only able to select 1 product that I make and I make everything on the list. This should be changed to improve the accuracy of the survey.
Also, some advice to you would be to get involved in the brewing community.
You'll get a good feel for the passion that people have for it along with their creativity and willingness to help.
Another place you may gather some information would be a small brewpub. Maybe volunteer to help them out for a few brewing sessions.
Good luck,
Brian

good luck with your research and be sure to share the results with us!

Back