Ugh - Great Brew Day but Big Problem

Chuck:

I have made MANY MANY batches in which I did not detail the OG and FG's (I'm not bragging, I'm sheepishly confessing). But the constant question all my friends had: What's the ABV? So, I stopped being lazy and started using the Brew Day Sheets ( https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewday-allgrain/ ) and, before they were available, just wrote out all my steps and calculations during brewing sessions,
Now, when they ask, I say: I have no idea... BUT, I have it written down LOL.:)
We are a breed that is not happy unless we are constantly experimenting and constantly improving, just because WE CAN.
I've been brewing for almost 30 years, and my dad brewed beer before me, while in the Navy (but, they were not drinking it for the flavor, based on the batches he described).
A couple days ago, I made John Palmer's 3 Weisse Guys wheat beer. I affectionately call it Cream of Wheat breakfast beer. The last time I made it, it thought my pH meter was broken... so I mashed anyhow... Turned out great, Re-calibrated my pH meter. In reality pH Meter was RIGHT the batch before and my mash pH was 6.5 YIKES. Adjusted mash to 5.4 pH and Brew Efficiency calculator says 87%. Another YIKES.
The point of the story...Happy Brewing ahead !!!

cory

I have 2 hydrometer and a refractor so I don't have these problems!!

You learn what you like and your system. Keep records. In all honesty, I like my brews better than any I've had that are commercially produced. I will gladly admit that I have tried a few that were pretty good but needed tweaking.

IMHO, I've improved the two Bally's, Smutty's Finest Kind, Founders All Day and Moat Mt. End of Day. I'll most likely let these recipes go public come next fall. I'm still working on the newer hops and bursting.

I had a problematic brew day today, first brew using a converted 5 gallon cooler to produce wort for a 2.5 gallon batch. I forgot to modify my equipment profile and so would up with WAAAYYYY too much water. I'd planned for a 120 minute boil (for color in a Helles), ended up closer to 3 hours due to the over-use. And to make things worse, for the first time ever, I forgot to get yeast when I was picking up the ingredients. Oh, well. I'll get beer, Helles, even. It just won't be the beer I want for Das Helles-Projekt. Next batch will be better.

I had a problematic brew day today, first brew using a converted 5 gallon cooler to produce wort for a 2.5 gallon batch. I forgot to modify my equipment profile and so would up with WAAAYYYY too much water. I'd planned for a 120 minute boil (for color in a Helles), ended up closer to 3 hours due to the over-use. And to make things worse, for the first time ever, I forgot to get yeast when I was picking up the ingredients. Oh, well. I'll get beer, Helles, even. It just won't be the beer I want for Das Helles-Projekt. Next batch will be better.
So I'm gathering you don't store any at home Nosey? Thinking to my own stash off the top of my head would I be fine if I pitched 34/70 at that brew? 120 minute boil for carimalization/ melanoidin qualities from the boil? I've never boiled for this long but I can imagine you'd gain some hydrometer points from it and calculating Fermentor Volume would be a mission.

So I'm gathering you don't store any at home Nosey? Thinking to my own stash off the top of my head would I be fine if I pitched 34/70 at that brew? 120 minute boil for carimalization/ melanoidin qualities from the boil? I've never boiled for this long but I can imagine you'd gain some hydrometer points from it and calculating Fermentor Volume would be a mission.
Problem was I used the equipment profile for the 10 gallon cooler - so my water calculation was way too high. I was using the long boil to develop color so be careful what you wish for, right? We get to the brew shop at least once a week - it's adjacent to my favorite craft brewery - but when I was getting the ingredients for the brew I spaced getting the yeast. I had some Munich and Nottingham at home but not suited for the brew I wanted to make. I was also boiling on the stovetop upstairs rather than the burner outside, affected boil-off rate. Worst case, I'll get a Helles and will have to wait for Brew 1 of the Projekt.

Never had a batch not reach FG and over carb in the bottle ?
Not considered best practice by most to not check that FG is reached before bottling

It's his method. He's been brewing almost as long as I've been alive! I'd happily point bottle after bottle of his brews at my face and open them. Free beer is my favorite!!

Was actually a legit question , has he ever had bottles that were over carbed due to stalled / unfinished ferment ?
I have ... took a year before i came back to drink the rest and they're sure over carbed now

Way back in the '70s some of compadres would get impatient and bottle too soon and get some gushers. Naturally had they followed temp control, given enough time, and paid attention more there would have been less lost beer. We used returnable longnecks too. Tough bottles, may have help some. I don't recall any bombs. We did use bar sanitisers so we didn't get infections.

I took the time to listen to some of the old bootleggers and their helpers. Made a difference, learned patience and observation. We didn't have the info that is available now say nothing of improved science and ingredients. Networking is simple now, back then brewing was not exactly legal. I didn't even know that at the time.

I don't recommend anyone doing what I've done and do. Just making conversation. Learn your system and techniques.

When I first started brewing I had no idea and certainly no patience (only 17 ) I did have a few bottles blow due to infection or bottling early and thought that was normal .

Now im older , wiser and more patient so not had problems since except that batch I forgot about and left for a year , the sheer volume of solid information easily available now is staggering and hard to deny the variety and quality of ingredients has improved greatly since I first tried brewing 20 odd years ago with hopped extract and table sugar in tropical heat

One point to understand about 'back then' was the yeast used. We used bread yeast, that is what we had. That will chew through anything. Also, another method was to add raisins. Nobody knew why when asked, but actually they would have wild yeast on the surface. These strains are similar to wine yeasts, most likely where they originated.

Technically we made beer. I'd rather call it hooch compared to now. If nothing else, it kept us in trouble.

One point to understand about 'back then' was the yeast used. We used bread yeast, that is what we had. That will chew through anything. Also, another method was to add raisins. Nobody knew why when asked, but actually they would have wild yeast on the surface. These strains are similar to wine yeasts, most likely where they originated.

Technically we made beer. I'd rather call it hooch compared to now. If nothing else, it kept us in trouble.
I'm a new Brewer say 3 years in to cutting my teeth just over a year all grain but I've used raisins before in a brew. I've heard their a good yeast nutrient boil and mash em up then cool and toss em in your brew. That was awhile back and not sure if it helped:p. My fermentations have been happy without yeast nutrient so far so I see no need to change o_O.

Back