Typical Brew Day Time?

For what?
Your transfers would be faster along with cooling on the way to the fermenter. I do 10 gallon batches in 3 hours with 60min mash and 60min boil and total day after cleanup is 4 hours at most. What kind of system do you have, BIAB?

Your transfers would be faster along with cooling on the way to the fermenter. I do 10 gallon batches in 3 hours with 60min mash and 60min boil and total day after cleanup is 4 hours at most. What kind of system do you have, BIAB?
As I stated above, I have a gravity system.
HLT is filled with city water pressure the day before and on a timer so when I walk in I can dump to a MLT.
Transfer from HLT to MLT takes about 7 minutes.
I mash for 1 hour
I fly sparge, so that is for 1 hour
Then I boil for 1 hour.
I can gravity feed 33 gallons to the fermentor in 16 minutes.
So right now the only slowdown is the cooling water temperature.
No need for pumps and no breakdown and cleaning of them.
I'd entertain a pump, but I don't see that speeding anything up.
Cheers

3:45 today minus running water through the kettle to clean up.

As I stated above, I have a gravity system.
HLT is filled with city water pressure the day before and on a timer so when I walk in I can dump to a MLT.
Transfer from HLT to MLT takes about 7 minutes.
I mash for 1 hour
I fly sparge, so that is for 1 hour
Then I boil for 1 hour.
I can gravity feed 33 gallons to the fermentor in 16 minutes.
So right now the only slowdown is the cooling water temperature.
No need for pumps and no breakdown and cleaning of them.
I'd entertain a pump, but I don't see that speeding anything up.
Cheers

The only thing my pumps speed up for my process is temperature dropping the kettle for whirlpooling and cooling / transfering the wort to the fermentor. Both operation happen via the counterflow chiller that is plumbed into the system. I also do a nearly continuous vorlauf through my RIMS which is nice. I do love my pumps but life with the old gravity system was much simpler. Although now it's a lot less stressful as hitting my temps is wicked easy with the pump / RIMS and chiller system...The pumps basically make it really easy to add more steps /complication to the process. lol. I do CIP which takes time but isn't difficult. I think the biggest time saver would be pumping through a chiller while transfering to the fermentor but with the right gravity setup you could even do that without a pump. My brew day is a solid 8 hours from start to cleaned up and sitting on the couch.

Don't get me wrong, I've brewed on plenty of systems and most had pumps.
But over brewing life, I've come to love simplicity.
On top of that, I've used many CIP systems and processes, and even after an hour of CIP, I can get yuck out of pumps and fittings.
All that said, I built a system based on gravity and city water pressure to brew with and it's working great.
Now, I couldn't live without timers, but pumps I can!
There are always different ways to do things and I think each brewer should figure out what is best for them.
Happy brewing all!

My brew day typically takes around 6 hours, including getting everything cleaned up and put away. I don’t brew in a hurry, but the kitchen is my brew house, so I do need to be cognizant of meal time.

Don't get me wrong, I've brewed on plenty of systems and most had pumps.
But over brewing life, I've come to love simplicity.
On top of that, I've used many CIP systems and processes, and even after an hour of CIP, I can get yuck out of pumps and fittings.
All that said, I built a system based on gravity and city water pressure to brew with and it's working great.
Now, I couldn't live without timers, but pumps I can!
There are always different ways to do things and I think each brewer should figure out what is best for them.
Happy brewing all!
One great advantage is you can still lauter in a black out...

Back