Turn 5 gallon kit into 6

Fish

Trial Member
Reaction score
What's up brewers,
I have been brewing for one year and i want know if it is possible to increase the volume of a 5 gallon kit to 6 gallons with out changing the ABV. I have a feeling there is a way, but I need some help on how.

Thanks

You'd have to add sugar to keep the ABV up, but that would change the recipe.

The recipe editor will help you with how much sugar to add, just enter the recipe as-is at 5 gallons, note the OG, then increase the batch size (fermentor mode) to 6, and add sugar until the OG is the same.

You may not be happy with the results: thin taste, lack of body. It will accomplish what you are asking for though.

Can't you scale the recipe using the Brewer's Friend recipe tool? Otherwise, just multiply the amount of every ingredient by 1.2 (6/5) to scale up the recipe.

Yes, you can scale a recipe using the scale button at the top of the recipe editor.

I was thinking Fish had bought a kit, and wanted to take that up to 6 gallons without dropping ABV.

Missed the part about the kit...

Thanks for all the help. I will not mess with the kits abv, I'll will wait until I get my brew stand up and running to do all-grain.

Fish said:
I'll will wait until I get my brew stand up and running to do all-grain.

Now that is what we like to hear! :D

Back