TSP-PH Toxicity

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I Bought a new brewbuilt X1 and give it a rinse with some TSP-PH to clean it of tooling oils with the CIP and then drain and rinsed 3X.
that was last night and I let it dry out over night, i looked it over this morning and everything was nice and clean.
today I brewed a hazy and sanitized the the fermenter with StarSan everything was fine until I filled the fermenter.
As I remove the CIP and to put a ball valve there were a couple chunks of tsp wedged up where the cip and gasket was.
is this a dump batch now?

thanks.

Hey Everyone,
I Bought a new brewbuilt X1 and give it a rinse with some TSP-PH to clean it of tooling oils with the CIP and then drain and rinsed 3X.
that was last night and I let it dry out over night, i looked it over this morning and everything was nice and clean.
today I brewed a hazy and sanitized the the fermenter with StarSan everything was fine until I filled the fermenter.
As I remove the CIP and to put a ball valve there were a couple chunks of tsp wedged up where the cip and gasket was.

thanks.
I have nothing but my gut on this. I doubt that tiny amount is harmful. It used to be used in dishwasher powder.

If it is still there, just don't disturb it

gotcha, it was trapped in the lid i sprayed it down with starsan wiped it with paper towel 2 times

Hey Everyone,

thanks.
Tsp is a recognized food additive and is generally considered safe. That small amount - less than a gram in 5 gallons - is harmless. But, taste it after fermenting of course.

Back