trying something new

daemon

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on a recipe that I wish to try this month. I would appreciate any comments or tips from those that know more than I.
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: trial braggot 1
Author: daemon

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Braggot
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 1 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.156
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.156
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 19.43%
IBU (tinseth): 9.15
SRM (daniels): 23.15

FERMENTABLES:
48 oz - Honey (70.6%)
8 oz - Dry Malt Extract - Light (11.8%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (11.8%)
4 oz - Belgian - Biscuit (5.9%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 9.15

YEAST:
Wyeast - Dry Mead 4632

funny, i made a braggot last weekend. this is probably a bit useless for you now, but here's what i did.

I used some smoked malt (mesquite I think) and the mash smelled delicious. I also added the honey at the very end, to help keep the aromatics and not boil them away.

I used some yarrow instead of hops too. really not sure how that will turn out, and I'm kind of regretting not using at least a pinch of them. I'd recommend using a bit less than what you listed. Maybe .25 oz?

Also, I just noticed you're estimated OG. That seems really high. Can you maybe double the volume of the batch while keeping the recipe the same? That should give you a much more drinkable ~10%, and it should be ready to drink a little bit quicker too. And one last thing, bump up your boil size. Even though you're boiling for 30 mins, I'd imagine you'd lose a quart or two of water.

Anyway, just my 2cents. Hope it turns out good?

Back