Trub and hydrometer readings

I was under the impression that trub suspended in wort did not affect hydrometer readings. Well...it turns out that it does affect it a little bit. I stumbled upon this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=519485
Cheers there Gerry I read the thread well I'll be letting them hydro samples settle next brew for sure so as not to throw off that reading by a point or two.

Siphoning wort out of my kettle also has an incredible effect on my hydrometer reading. It really skyrockets!

I had just finished brewing a batch last night when I read the thread. The OG was 1.070 with trub in suspension. When I woke up (why this early I have no idea...it's practically still night-time imo) the trub had settled below the hydrometer and the OG had dropped to .068. You learn something new every day!

Funny story: I was aiming for 1.055 (Scottish export). Stuff happened, and dumbass (me) forgot to put the banjo screen in my mash cooler before I put all the things in it. After I mashed for 90 min. I transferred everything to a pot, put my banjo screen where it belonged, then transferred the mash back to the Igloo and sparged. It looks like all the jostling around combined with extra mash time improved my efficiency, which ended up at 92% instead of the usual 75ish. I probably shouldn't complain, but this kind of thing only happens when I'm shooting for a quick turnaround time.

Last edited:
Siphoning wort out of my kettle also has an incredible effect on my hydrometer reading. It really skyrockets!

I was having that problem too. Every time I left all the wort in the kettle, my hydrometer would fall straight to the bottom of the test tube. Broke a few hydrometers that way... :D

Last edited:

Back